Drawing A Regular Polygon

rlackore

When I use the Regular Polygon tool (CAD>Boxes>Regular Polygon) I can only insert it into an open area of the drawing. If I move the cursor over (or close to) existing geometry or objects, the polygon disappears and when I click to insert the polygon the command terminates. Why do I care? Because often when I'm inserting a polygon I want to snap it directly to a known point on another piece of geometry. Is this the default behavior for this command?

post-95-0-01951000-1410807235_thumb.png

post-95-0-48756900-1410807248_thumb.png

post-95-0-85804600-1410807259_thumb.png

I agree, that's a wonky implementation.  But you can place it in a free space and then drag it to the point you want to snap to..

Yes, but then I lose the very convenient fact that while the command is still active I can keep inserting polygons. I know, I know - inserting into a blank area, terminating the command, selecting and copying the polygon so I can start pasting is only a matter of a dozen clicks and keystrokes - but that's the way this forum evaluates CA, by the number of clicks and keystrokes.

You also lose the center snap point of the polygon when re-selecting & attempting to move via point-to-point.

It's easy enough to get the center w/ perpendicular extensions on, but...........

...which is also a really strange behavior, isn't it?