Shed roof gap

Aamir77

6 minutes ago, Rpadge said:

I think he (solver) means the computer file (.pln) not a floor plan view. Looks like you have a baseline way off from a wall, that might be where the light is coming from

(.plan) file is over 200 Mbs, cant upload.

Have you built a foundation yet?

Regarding your large plan file, have you ever used Dropbox to share your plans with others?

Also, if you have some symbols that are causing your plan size to be so large, you could try "gutting" the plan and just create a new file with just the structure and not all the other stuff.  Then compress and zip that plan file (*.plan) and post it here.  I agree, hard to troubleshoot problems without looking at your plan.

38 minutes ago, Aamir77 said:

A step further into the investigation I found this unwanted wall 2073459597_shedroofunwantedwall.thumb.jpg.df1b9230e6a2257c0ccd516018e021f7.jpgcreated by Chief itself. If I try to delete it, a pop-up window appears saying this 1299748_shedroofunwantedwall2.thumb.jpg.31491161070561fdad4315907ae50bb0.jpg

Automatic walls only usually appear on the Attic level (A) and you shouldn't be drawing walls and making rooms on the Attic (A) level if that is the case?

I know my wall definition might be wrong but I want it to be 4.5'' thick no matter what material it possesses. In fact, I am in a part of the world where we use this12234704_shedroofwalldefpak.thumb.jpg.9a2c9a32cbfa9655b8d0bdda965176cf.jpg definition for all wall types. The whole plan is just for demonstration to the contractor.

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Automatic walls only usually appear on the Attic level (A) and you shouldn't be drawing walls and making rooms on the Attic (A) level if that is the case?

I did not try to create a wall or a room at the Attic level. Just a simple shed roof but yes the shed roof contains half of the room. Is that possible what I am doing?

2 hours ago, CJSpud said:

Have you built a foundation yet?

Regarding your large plan file, have you ever used Dropbox to share your plans with others?

Also, if you have some symbols that are causing your plan size to be so large, you could try "gutting" the plan and just create a new file with just the structure and not all the other stuff.  Then compress and zip that plan file (*.plan) and post it here.  I agree, hard to troubleshoot problems without looking at your plan.

Yes, I did not build the foundation as I felt it not necessary to me for the work I am doing. I remember just once I tried the Dropbox option to share a file long ago. Pardon me I do not get what ''gutting'' is!  About compressing into a zipped file, I can try again if I am able to understand how to handle symbols I have imported into the program and all the stuff I have created like CAD blocks and other stuff. 

When I referred to "gutting" your plan, all I meant was remove everything in the plan not related to your issue:

1.  Do a save as and give the new copy of your plan a different name.

2.  Go into the plan and take out all the 3D symbols, cabinets, fixtures, furniture, etc. that should not be needed for someone on the forum to trouble shoot your light (leakage) problems.  All we may need to help you is your roof, custom ceilings, walls, floor, foundation, lighting, windows and doors at the most. 

3.  Then save that plan and close the plan.

4.  Navigate to where your plan is saved on your computer and right click on it; choose "Send To"; and then choose "Compressed (Zipped) Folder".  That should reduce your new plan file to an acceptable size for posting on ChiefTalk.

5.  Post that new "gutted" plan in your next post so we can look at it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aamir77 said:

I know my wall definition might be wrong but I want it to be 4.5'' thick no matter what material it possesses. In fact, I am in a part of the world where we use this12234704_shedroofwalldefpak.thumb.jpg.9a2c9a32cbfa9655b8d0bdda965176cf.jpg definition for all wall types. The whole plan is just for demonstration to the contractor.

Is there a reason for not using your "Normal" walltype eg a 4" Brick and 1/4" plaster both sides ( I assume plaster not drywall ) if that is what is really  there?  I am wondering if Chief is not understanding the Materials in the definition as Drywall would never be the main wall layer and I have seen issue before where people have made the wall's main layer a Color eg white and weird things happening.

7 hours ago, Aamir77 said:

I did not try to create a wall or a room at the Attic level. Just a simple shed roof but yes the shed roof contains half of the room. Is that possible what I am doing?

Chief won't allow Rooms and hence Room Definition on the (A) Level , it won't stop you drawing the wall but it does give you a Warning message when you do this.

6 hours ago, Aamir77 said:

Pardon me I do not get what ''gutting'' is!  About compressing into a zipped file, I can try again

This would be best , and as we only need the structure you can , in a copy or you main plan , delete things like furniture , cabinets, appliances, imported symbols , arch. Blocks etc ........ The Edit>Delete Objects DBX should help to make this pretty fast.

M.

• Like 1

An update on the issue is as soon as I was removing the symbols and fixtures of the room to make structure clear and to share with you guys the (.plan) file. The light spot vanished itself. What I felt that some material was problematic which I am still not been able to recognise. Anyway if it happens again I would be back to you on that matter. For the time being, I do have another question which is how to finish the gap encircled in Red in the picture attached.1130371293_shedroofgap.thumb.jpg.377af6db7c5c49cdbf73ede28cd9c5b4.jpg

I can't tell from the Pic what the White "gap" area is .. stripping the plan is still be best idea if you want some help. One thought is that perhaps you have two roof planes there drawn one on top of the other by accident? ie one roof plane hidden inside the other?

The Roof does not continue over the wall at the top of the Building , not sure if that is where the Light "leak" was , see my image below , the roof plane should be like the Blue lines I marked.

the yellow arrow is where the exterior wall layers look messed up , where the Gap or 2nd roof plane is...

that wall looks really think but it maybe correct?

81492132_Shedgap.thumb.JPG.794e5935eb2a6b3b736f8b5ba6afe12a.JPG

M.

2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

I can't tell from the Pic what the White "gap" area is .. stripping the plan is still be best idea if you want some help. One thought is that perhaps you have two roof planes there drawn one on top of the other by accident? ie one roof plane hidden inside the other?

The Roof does not continue over the wall at the top of the Building , not sure if that is where the Light "leak" was , see my image below , the roof plane should be like the Blue lines I marked.

the yellow arrow is where the exterior wall layers look messed up , where the Gap or 2nd roof plane is...

that wall looks really think but it maybe correct?

81492132_Shedgap.thumb.JPG.794e5935eb2a6b3b736f8b5ba6afe12a.JPG

M.

I will share the plan here, I have made many mistakes in the plan, I know but for the sake of demonstration to the contractor, I just need good rendering. Feels like this defect would drive me crazy as I was about to share the plan of just the structure removing all the symbols and stuff and suddenly the shade of the light vanished so I thought  not to post but later when I opened the main plan removed all the stuff in the room to see whether it was good or not, the light shade came back again.

On a side note, as you keenly noticed the picture, higher side the roof is not continuing along the line,  I would like it to be the same I mean do not go beyond the side wall.

About white gap between the rafter and the wall is an attic wall which does not touch the roof, don't know why.