Electrical Labels

EconBlueprints

In Plan View, where the Electrical Label shows next to the item (instance 6" recessed ceiling fixture), how do I change the size of the text for the label?  I see where I can change the size of the label marker (in this case a circle) but I would like to change the size of the text.  The only place I can see where I can change the text size is in the Schedule.
Thanks,

Lane

12 minutes ago, EconBlueprints said:

In Plan View, where the Electrical Label shows next to the item (instance 6" recessed ceiling fixture), how do I change the size of the text for the label?  I see where I can change the size of the label marker (in this case a circle) but I would like to change the size of the text.  The only place I can see where I can change the text size is in the Schedule.
Thanks,

Lane

if you are using defaults then the layer named "electrical label" should have a text style you can modify. Alternatively you can get to this text style through edit/defaults/texts, callouts and markers/text styles scroll down to "electrical labels"

4 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

edit/defaults/texts, callouts and markers/text styles scroll down to "electrical labels"

I think you may have created that yourself Rene?

Also this only works if we are talking about electrical like a Standard Duplex outlet , which normally have Auto Labels OFF. 

If it is a AFCI or GCFI for example the Label is Built into the nested CAD BLOCK, and you need to change the placement,size,and text style in the CAD Block. ( I think the colour maybe controlled by the text colour for the Layer though?)

Found this from another thread a week or two ago...Thanks @Alaskan_Son

I think this is a little less complicated than it seems once you understand what it what and make sure we're on the same page:

• There are 2 different "labels" so to speak:  1)  a text box that is part of the CAD block and 2) an actual label.  Typically people don't use the actual label for switches and outlets, rather they just use the CAD block along with its built in text box "label".
  • The actual label display is controlled by the Electrical, Labels layer and gets it's Automatic Label from the symbol name.
  • The text box in the CAD block can be controlled by any number of things.  It really depends on exactly how the text box in the CAD block was set up.  Chief OOB GFCI CAD block for example was created with a text box on the Text layer, and the text was created as a Custom text style with the color to be controlled by layer.  That means you can't change the text size, but you can change the color by using the Text layer color.
  • You don't have to use an entirely different symbol to change the CAD block.  All you have to do is redefine the CAD block via CAD Block Management (Insert>Explode>modify>Block>give it the same name it was before).

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

I think you may have created that yourself Rene?

Also this only works if we are talking about electrical like a Standard Duplex outlet , which normally have Auto Labels OFF. 

If it is a AFCI or GCFI for example the Label is Built into the nested CAD BLOCK, and you need to change the placement,size,and text style in the CAD Block. ( I think the colour maybe controlled by the text colour for the Layer though?)

Found this from another thread a week or two ago...Thanks @Alaskan_Son

I think this is a little less complicated than it seems once you understand what it what and make sure we're on the same page:

• There are 2 different "labels" so to speak:  1)  a text box that is part of the CAD block and 2) an actual label.  Typically people don't use the actual label for switches and outlets, rather they just use the CAD block along with its built in text box "label".
  • The actual label display is controlled by the Electrical, Labels layer and gets it's Automatic Label from the symbol name.
  • The text box in the CAD block can be controlled by any number of things.  It really depends on exactly how the text box in the CAD block was set up.  Chief OOB GFCI CAD block for example was created with a text box on the Text layer, and the text was created as a Custom text style with the color to be controlled by layer.  That means you can't change the text size, but you can change the color by using the Text layer color.
  • You don't have to use an entirely different symbol to change the CAD block.  All you have to do is redefine the CAD block via CAD Block Management (Insert>Explode>modify>Block>give it the same name it was before).

Too funny, it's been so long since my CA has been out-of-the-box that I forgot it's core structure...haha, probably shouldn't be trying to do tech support at 5 am :)

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure if this was ever resolved, and I'm looking to do something similar (maybe the same thing?).

I have been trying to figure out how to change the call-out labels for electrical. If I use a call-out, the shape is huge and in the way. All I want is the text "E01, E01, etc.". 

I chose "Show Labels" from the schedule and "Include Schedule Number", but that includes the complete description as well! Do I have to go through every plan and manually label?

This thread is about the built in Labels for the Electrical Items  which are different than the Callout Labels which come from the Schedule as does the Shape , might be best to start your own thread with a Sample plan with a simple box house showing the issue so Others can give you some Pointers.

Mick.

This is how I did it.

1.   Place the first electrical item.

2.   Create the Electrical Schedule (I do it as a CAD Detail)

3.    Open the Electrical Schedule Specification Box

4.    Click on Labels. 

5.     Under "Labels" go down to "Callout Size"

6.     Click "Size" and input the size you want to use.  I use 7 because it works well with the text size of 3/32".  I use 3/32" because that is the minimum size permitted by most municipalities in my area.

7.    I also delete the "E" in the "Label Prefix" Box.  On the Electrical Plan only Electrical Labels will show, so I don't see the need to have an "E" for the label prefix.

That should do it.

I hope I understood your question and I hope this helps.