Stair stringer size?

EvanMW

How can I specify the size of the stringer? Just looking at the stair command it allows you to adjust the top of the stringer or bottom and thus changes the width of the stringer. Who frames like that!? I use 2X12 stringers and want to note that. Worst case I guess I can generate line work in my section view and change it manually.

You can't , they are "hardcoded" in CA , you also will only get two  Three of them , two outers and 1 centered.....and the Stringer (Trim) and Riser Material are the same and can't be changed individually ie treated Stringers and Cedar Risers to match the Treads.

You can draw, in elevation, a copy of the Stringer , turn it into a solid, and add extra Stringers if needed

M.

2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

You can't , they are "hardcoded" in CA , you also will only get two of them

You actually get three and it does not seem to matter to Chief if the stairs are 2 ft wide or 40 ft.   Lots of room for more feature requests for stairs.

If Closed Stringer is selected you get two outer stringers, which is typically how standard stairs I order are built. Unless they're 4' or wider, then the stair company adds a center cut stringer.

I specify risers in standard basement stairs, but what's weird in CA is when I uncheck Open Risers, to show a riser, CA adds an Underside material that I don't want.

Even weirder, if I specify "Air Gap" as the Underside material (to try and hide it), the risers show on a front 3D view, but disappear from a rear 3D view. (Standard view- Air Gap doesn't seem invisible in vector view.)

Not sure how to get rid of the Underside material to show risers without it...you would think "Underside" would be a user choice. 

1 hour ago, Chrisb222 said:

Not sure how to get rid of the Underside material to show risers without it...you would think "Underside" would be a user choice. 

There is a material that is available for the Cantilevered Underside of a Room.  It is called "No Material" and is not the same as "Opening (no material)"

Just need to figure out a way to let the Chief know that it would be quite useful for many many other things.

1 hour ago, Chrisb222 said:

I specify risers in standard basement stairs, but what's weird in CA is when I uncheck Open Risers, to show a riser, CA adds an Underside material that I don't want. 

That's because in a Staircase with Risers CA doesn't actually build the Stringers as 2x Material it is just a hollow box , similar to Beams , joists etc , and the try to hid that fact. If you use Open-No Material for the Underside you will see what I mean..... the Stringer is just a Face.....

Not sure why Ca doesn't allow us to use No Material in other situations , would be handy at times ......

image.thumb.png.952e6ad4397c8bd2cc91fb5de3dfc4c2.pngimage.thumb.png.76c17b20625d1afd1e88675b5c18be4e.png

13 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

There is a material that is available for the Cantilevered Underside of a Room.  It is called "No Material" and is not the same as "Opening (no material)"

I was able to hide the underside panel using insulation air gap, the problem is that the risers are visible from the front view but disappear from the back view.

12 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

If you use Open-No Material for the Underside you will see what I mean..... 

That's exactly what I saw using insulation air gap as a material for the underside panel.

So you're saying the underside panel is created to hide the fact that the risers disappear on a rear view. I understand that these objects are hollow, it's what makes a cross-section slider in 3D look unrealistic. But you don't see one face of a footer or a joist disappear when you rotate the camera...?