ericepv

Building a patio into sloped terrain

Recommended Posts

I am trying to create a sunken patio in sloping terrain. The problem I am having is getting a smooth drop in the grade of the lot without distorting the patio which needs to remain flat. The attached sample file shows what I am trying to achieve with the grey circle representing the area where he patio will be. I tried to subtract this area from the terrain perimeter but found that I cannot subtract and object from terrain like I can with a polyline solid. I've been back and fourth with tech support but so far they have not been able to find a solution.

Any ideas?

Sunken Patio in Sloping Terrain.zip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure the plan is not open in Chief when you zip it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what you are trying to achieve, but here I dropped the patio 12" and used a Lowered Region to bring the terrain down.

 

ct1.thumb.jpg.32312d6ada29b8ae5b3272e5c4f2fe2a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try opening your terrain DBX and setting the smoothing and triangle count to "low".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, javatom said:

Try opening your terrain DBX and setting the smoothing and triangle count to "low".

I tried that earlier but it had no effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ericepv said:

I tried that earlier but it had no effect.

When I want clean sharp drop-offs I use terrain breaks with retaining walls, even if the walls have a grass material applied and are only 1/16" inch thick. Remember to avoid crossing elevation data, as in, avoid crossing an elevation line over an elevation region with conflicting data...think of terrain as molding a piece of clay, everything needs suggested transitions, you can't force it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other thing to keep in mind, some items follow terrain and some do not.  You can always place a polyline solid over a terrain and define the elevation as "absolute".  It will not react to the terrain at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

When I want clean sharp drop-offs I use terrain breaks with retaining walls, even if the walls have a grass material applied and are only 1/16" inch thick. Remember to avoid crossing elevation data, as in, avoid crossing an elevation line over an elevation region with conflicting data...think of terrain as molding a piece of clay, everything needs suggested transitions, you can't force it.

Thanks for the tip on retaining walls, that made a difference. I still can't get the terrain elevation to mathc the patio perfectly but with the camera angle I'm using, you can't tell.

Duhamel Patio-Sunken Patio 03.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, javatom said:

The other thing to keep in mind, some items follow terrain and some do not.  You can always place a polyline solid over a terrain and define the elevation as "absolute".  It will not react to the terrain at all.

 

I'll give that a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

I use terrain breaks with retaining walls

 

This is a confusing statement.  I think it's worth clarifying that a wall set to be a Terrain Retaining Wall includes a Terrain Break as part of the wall itself.  There should be no reason to have both.  Now if you're talking about a Terrain Wall or a normal wall/railing along with a standalone Terrain Break, that's a different thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

 

This is a confusing statement.  I think it's worth clarifying that a wall set to be a Terrain Retaining Wall includes a Terrain Break as part of the wall itself.  There should be no reason to have both.  Now if you're talking about a Terrain Wall or a normal wall/railing along with a standalone Terrain Break, that's a different thing.

 

1 hour ago, ericepv said:

 

I'll give that a try.

Michael was right, I should stop giving advice from memory, I meant that I usually use a spline terrain wall with a terrain break. The terrain retaining wall can be difficult in tight spaces-

2061551778_exteriorfirepit.thumb.png.5f76dae30375b91fe230034f85e29434.png

The terrain wall isn't necessary but from my own experience everything seems to workout better when I have it in place, even if I set it to invisible, not sure that makes sense from a program language stand-point...maybe its just my feel good method.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

 

Michael was right, I should stop giving advice from memory, I meant that I usually use a spline terrain wall with a terrain break. The terrain retaining wall can be difficult in tight spaces-

2061551778_exteriorfirepit.thumb.png.5f76dae30375b91fe230034f85e29434.png

The terrain wall isn't necessary but from my own experience everything seems to workout better when I have it in place, even if I set it to invisible, not sure that makes sense from a program language stand-point...maybe its just my feel good method.

 

Your terrain looks better that mine (at least from the angle you showed), I'd appreciate if you could send your changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ericepv said:

 

Your terrain looks better that mine (at least from the angle you showed), I'd appreciate if you could send your changes.

 

 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArIPOe8v1SrkicRfvdk5iVyFvfloAA

I must have one of my huge textures files in plan b/c its well over 25mb...let me know when you get it so I can delete from my drive..you'll be missing textures since I replaced the ones I was missing from your file.

I have linear interpolation turned on, you should turn that off in terrain dbx if you plan on modifying

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrains are all about:

  1. Giving Chief the correct elevation data to work with
  2. Giving Chief enough elevation data to work with
  3. Not giving Chief conflicting or confusing elevation data (i.e. overlapping data or data placed too close together)
  4. Understanding the difference between defining your terrain (i.e. elevation data) and modifying the defined terrain (i.e. terrain modifiers).
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27612
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    kBdesignND
    Newest Member
    kBdesignND
    Joined
  • Similar Content

    • By MN_JohnH
      I know this has been talked about before but I can not find it and I can't figure out how to do it again.
      I have a house drawing and I have the terrain drawn and I would like to orient the house differently on the terrain. I want to keep my house drawing square with my plan so it would need to be the terrain itself that has to rotate. I can rotate the terrain perimeter but that doesn't rotate the elevation lines etc. When I select the perimeter and all the elevation lines, i am not able to rotate the whole thing.
    • By decorators3
      Hi 
       
      I am building a foundation but in camera view there is a hole under the foundation but no terrain.. ???!!
    • By Steve77
      Hi There,

      I am a current chief architect user and have a question in regards to the contour tool and driveway tool.

      I have a plan that has a sloping site that I am trying to accurately portray in 3d for both client and the Local Council.
      From the road front the site slopes left to right and from the back to front.
      (I have attached Images shown what I currently have)

      My question is there something that I am missing I have also tried in elevation converting/extracting a polyline solid but it doesn't quite work.

      I have attached a link to the 3d viewer but can add a plan if need be.   https://3d-viewer.chiefarchitect.com/go?share=503392208525732    
    • By MN_JohnH
      How do I fix the terrain under this covered screen porch?

    • By fletcher
      Hey there! I'm having an issue with getting my terrain to show underneath my cantilever in my plan. any suggestions on how to fix this? I've searched through the chief tutorials and forums but could not find an answer to this problem.