Toolbars For Library Objects

Joe_Carrick

I know how to create Custom Toolbars for Library Objects.  However, I would like to be able to arrange these with "DropDown Buttons" which could then have specific Library Objects on the DropDown List.  Does anyone know how to do this?

Obviously CA has done it for Walls, Railings, Doors, Windows, etc.  I just can't find a way to do it within the Customization Tools that Chief provides.

I called support to see if they knew anything - but they couldn't find a way to do it.  They put Library Custom Parent Button on the suggestion list.

The idea would be that you could add that button to a Toolbar and then add Library Objects to that as "Drop-Down" selections.

I think it would actually be cool if we could just select a User Library Sub Folder and have the DropDown fully configured and loaded.

My reason for wanting this capability is so I can group similar Library Items and have them quickly available on Custom Toolbars.  They would take up much less available screen space this way and be more compatible with the way most of Chief's Toolbar Buttons are set up.

• Upvote 2

I think it is a good idea. I would also like to see the ability to organize any tools with a custom parent. 

Thanks Doug.  Maybe it's a matter of having several options:

1.  Place a Custom Parent Button on a Toolbar and then add Child Buttons to it.

2.  Place a "Place Library Item" Button on a Toolbar and then select a Library Folder - resulting in it being converted to a Parent Button.

3.  Add Buttons to existing Parent Buttons - maybe or maybe not those that come OOB.

Just thinking of some of the nice things that could be done :D

• Upvote 2

• 2 years later...

Thanks Doug.  Maybe it's a matter of having several options:

1.  Place a Custom Parent Button on a Toolbar and then add Child Buttons to it.

2.  Place a "Place Library Item" Button on a Toolbar and then select a Library Folder - resulting in it being converted to a Parent Button.

3.  Add Buttons to existing Parent Buttons - maybe or maybe not those that come OOB.

Any of these options would make it easier to group related custom menu items.  I intuitively tried all these options before finding this thread.

One way to have easy and quick access to custom toolbars is to right click on a Toolbar...Toolbars, and select the custom toolbar you want to display (or hide).

This is a good method for toolbars you only use infrequently and don't want cluttering up the display on a permanent basis.