Roof And Ceiling Battens, Please.

IanPellant

Is this the sort of thing you are after?

I just spent a long time explaining how I did it.

The post was auto saving, but I lost everything when I went to More Reply Options to attach a pic.

Anyway...here is the pic and if anyone wants an explanation, I will type it again.

Hey Glenn, just do a vid.

Hey Glenn, just do a vid.

OK d dot, maybe I have put it off too long - how do I do a vid and post it.

No, wait, I really don't want to start doing vids.

How about I explain it to you and you do the vid.

After all, you have way too much time on your hands. :)

Glen

from your picture it looks like the purlins are not rotated to the roof pitch, if they are that is perfect. I would love to know how it is done.

Graeme,

Yes, they are rotated to match the roof pitch and sit flat on the roof framing.

I will post the procedure here and d dot can do a vid if he wants to.

It is a bit convoluted and only worth it if you really want he battens.

But it is probably still the easiest way, especially if you want them mitred at the hips.

Roof battens would more often than not follow the gutter around a roof.
I used the gutter molding polyline as a starting point to generate roof battens.

I won't detail all the little things like using layer sets and changing layers that you need to do during this exercise.
Use whatever technique you need to get the job done.

First of, make a molding profile that you want to use for your batten at the correct angle to match the roof pitch.
Draw a sectional diagram of the roof and get the horizontal spacing you need for your battens (no up the rafter, but horizontal)

Unlock the Roofs, Gutters layer and turn on it's display
Select the roof gutter polyline
Copy in place
Convert to a standard polyline and then convert back to a molding polyline (you need to break it's gutter association)
Or, you could just draw your own molding polyline from scratch
Change the molding profile to your custom batten profile you created earlier on
Maybe give then a distinctive color
They should end up on the Moldings layer
Select the molding polyline
Click the Multiple Copy tool off the Edit toolbar
Select the Multiple Copy Interval tool and enter the horizontal distance you worked out above
Drag the molding polyline up the roof slope - it will concentrically copy
Don't worry too much if they overlap with the higher roof planes - you can clean this up later
Draw a cross section and make sure it picks up the moldings in elevation (not just section) - they will probably be just above the floor
Turn off bumping and pushing
Select the outside batten and then Shift select it again (otherwise you won't be able to move it)
Drag it up and sit it on the roof framing (the up and down arrow keys may help)
Continue dragging all the battens up and sit them on the roof framing

An alternative is to use the Height value in the dbx, if you work out the heights

To tidy up around the ridges and where there are excess battens above roofs because of differing roof heights, select the molding polylines and use

the No Molding on Selected Edge option (in conjunction with the break tool)

There are also other options like multi copying the molding polyline a set vertical distance and then using Concentric edit mode to drag the polylines into the roof frame - but I think this is a bit harder to be accurate.

That does it.
A fair bit of work to get roofing battens - but if it's roofing battens you want......