How Many Annotation Sets Do You Use

RGWhite

Joe

How are you setting up your working Layout views?  Sliding a full view off the printed area? Just a small view that does not display anything?  Or, are you using another page, and if so, how are you organizing the pages?

Just curious.  I am using the small view with nothing showing so I don't have to deal with any other issues.  The reason I ask is that I am looking at revamping my layout layersets that I use to control borders and such.

Not a layersets or anno sets person.  I prefer to set up the Layout views and control everything from there.  Everything is a bit of an overstatement, but I am working in that direction.

Rod,

I don't really understand your question. 

However, I will try to explain how I work with Layouts and Plans.

First, I should say that my system is designed for multiple sheet sizes - something that Scott taught me - which makes it a bit more complicated to set up.  I hope that doesn't  make the following explanation too complicated.

1.  I have a Layout Template that contains a Border, Title Block, Sheet Index, etc for each Sheet  Size (Arch B,C,D,E) that I use.  These are on Separate Layers in the Template - all on Page 0.

2.  Within the Layout also on Page 0 are various notes, macros, grids, etc that provide information that I will use while working on the Layout for any given project.  These things have nothing to do with the Plan - they are just aids for me in arranging the various views and other items that I need in the condocs.

3.  I have an 2 Annosets and 2 Layersets for each Sheet Size.  The Annosets are for the most part identical except for the CAD Layer and Layerset that they initialize.  The Layersets control if the items listed in #2 above are displayed or not.

4.  Various Pages of the Layout Template contain additional notes, standard details, etc.

Virtually all Plan development and everything related to the project is done in the Plan, not in the Layout.  Almost immediately when I have a Site Layout, Floor Plan, etc completed I send it to the appropriate Layout Page.  I do the same for the Elevations, Sections, Interior Elevations, etc.  That allows me to use the Layout as my access into those Views.  When I send a view to Layout, I do not create a copy the current Layer Set.  I prefer to have line weights, etc be controlled by the Plan Layer Set.

I continue to work on the individual Layout Views by doing all work in the (Plan) view which automatically gets updated it the Layout as long as the work is just CAD (Lines, Arcs, Text, Dimensions, etc) as well as all Foundation, Floor and Roof Plan data.  Changes to the Model that effect Elevations and Sections require updating the Layout.

I have all my Details in separate Plan Files that I can use on any project - simply by sending the desired Views to Layout and arranging them on the appropriate sheets. 

I almost never do any additional work on the Layout itself other than Text Macros for the individual Layout Boxes.  In some cases I will crop the Layout Box but I avoid anything else if possible.

Bryce,

I've done this with my Layouts by having an Annoset/Layerset combination for when I'm working on the Plan & Layout - and another for when I want to print.  My working version has grid lines, file information, instructions on putting things together, etc (basically stuff for my reference) displayed that I don't want in the printed docs.

I suppose it's fairly difficult to express each individual's work flow, process, pattern, etc., but I think I did mention above that for me, this type of setup is inadequate.  Which layers I want on or off in design vs. condocs isn't so easily separated and categorized.  Each project may present it's own idiosyncratic situations.  It just seems to me a more dynamic approach, especially for the design process, would be preferable to more static, slow-to-switch-between, presets.

Great suggestion to have the LDO remain open always. I can't see a downside to this at all.

Also, be nice to have an Object Properties dbx display any time the mouse hovers over something. The "Object Layer Proerties" dbx is a move in that direction. 

I have a few "working" layer sets set up already, but I do like to work in the printing layer sets used in layout.  As soon as I have the need to change the display properties, I sometimes go to Layer Set Management & copy that layer set & add "...........- Working" to the new layer set & then make desired display changes freely. I can also delete that layer set from Layer Set Management when I'm done if I want.

Well Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator are capable of some pretty intense operations via permanent floating tools and dialog boxes. Layer sets aren't much more complicated, if at all, than Photoshop's layers, channels and other dynamic floating menu items.

There is a reason why the Layer DBX is a Modal Window. One way or another the screen will need a redraw once a layer is turned off or on, an edit is made, or some other action having effect on one or more layers. Be careful what you ask for as it wouldn't be the first time a new action or feature was a step or two backwards rather than forward.