Purple Raytrace

AvoyeDesign

The only other thing I can think about is that when I installed the NVMe drive, I imaged my SATA SSD over to it.  But I also seem to think I might have seen some purple before I did this upgrade and never gave it much thought.  It was probably in the DBX of a library item, and I had switched to raytrace view, figured the library had lost the texture, and moved on with what I was doing.  Like I said before, I hardly do raytraces.

Also of note is that when Cinebench does its CPU rendering the image comes out fine, which has me more convinced its a chief thing not hardware/bios configuration thing.

It may not hurt to run it by tech support as purple is the color that shows up when there is an issue with the material file.

Mick and I had to chase down a material one time and we were surprised to find where is was actually referenced from.  I think the conclusion was chief looks first to your template file for recently used materials.  Does that sound correct Mick ?

Here is an older thread in which  I also provided a link to a previous situation.

I think you did say that it was really bad in you template file and just the background in the Profile plan.  So not sure how it all works exactly but I think that is the direction to look.

Try to reassign a corrupted material straight from the core catalog and see what happens.

2 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

I think you did say that it was really bad in you template file and just the background in the Profile plan.  So not sure how it all works exactly but I think that is the direction to look.

Here's the thing: My template file is set up using a lot of manufacturer's textures like Hardie siding.  I've checked the directory for the referenced files at C:/ProgramData/Chief Architect Premier X10/Referenced Files, and all the zip files containing the data are there.  I also checked the same directory for X9 and it is set up the same, so the reason chief isn't reading them is beyond me.  But reassigning them all would be a nightmare because it isn't just one.  You can se on my OP it is all but one or two.

OK, I went for a common texture that even the OOB templates use, the Fir Framing.  In X10, this is the path that chief is looking for the file:

C:\Users\Rod Kervin\Documents\Chief Architect Premier X9 Data\Templates\TemplateTextures.zip#

That is not right, it shouldn't be looking in X9 Data, that should have migrated over with the X10 install.  

I entered that path into windows file explorer and it didn't exist.  So ...

Check the actual Material Definition for where the particular material is referenced from as it may not even be looking in you Referenced file directory.  Who knows maybe chief needs to fix the way files are handled and referenced as it seems it would be quite a pain to reassign them all individually, but there may also be a more straight forward way.

Ok sounds like you are on the right track now......

I'm just doing some more digging.  I update my template one a year and save the old as a backup.  I go back to 2016 and the texture is referencing an X4 path.  I upgraded form X4 to X8, but X9 came out right after so I never used X8.  It just seems that things are not migrating properly.

A couple of observations:  When I actually browse to where the files are supposed to be, they are all in .zip folders that I cannot view from the brows option in the Define Material DBX.

Some materials are searching for a texture file that isn't even close to the name of the texture.  Where it should be something like "select-cedarmill-montery-taupe.jpg" it is something like "white.jpg"  Really odd.

I don't doubt that finding the right texture will fix the problem for one specific case.  Finding one texture isn't the problem, it's that my entire texture library reference seems to be a big bloody mess.  It's how do I fix that mess that concerns me most.

Ahhhh.... I did post a while back in the Tips Forum that Ram Drives makes CA do weird things , including not Update Correctly..... I also had issues with Windows Update assigning my temp Folder to the Ram Disk.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/17662-why-does-ca-get-slower-and-slower-the-more-i-use-it-solved/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-162092

*** ahhh I see you found that thread......

M.

5 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Ahhhh.... I did post a while back in the Tips Forum that Ram Drives makes CA do weird things , including not Update Correctly..... I also had issues with Windows Update assigning my temp Folder to the Ram Disk.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/17662-why-does-ca-get-slower-and-slower-the-more-i-use-it-solved/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-162092

*** ahhh I see you found that thread......

M.

Yeah, I was on that thread a while back, singing praises of the ram drive.  Figured I'd pop back in and link this thread.  I also linked it on the other post where the guy was networking his office and had this issue.

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

Mick and I had to chase down a material one time and we were surprised to find where is was actually referenced from.  I think the conclusion was chief looks first to your template file for recently used materials.  Does that sound correct Mick ?

I think you are talking about my Green Treated Spruce Material right? in that case when I made it I inadvertently named it the same as CA's default material  and dropped it into the Root of the Textures Folder and Chief was finding it 1st before looking deeper in the other Folders  and/or Referenced Zips which made Plans using the default CA texture look all wrong with my Green Spruce Treated Lumber.

Mick.

9 minutes ago, KervinHomeDesign said:

And now for the song that I hear in my head every time I go to this thread:

How appropriate :)  thanks.... didn't know he could play like that.....not just a pretty face apparently.

M.

• Upvote 1