aHughJassDude

PDF Lineweight is Too Faint

So I don't know what the heck is going on here. I'm using several PDFs on my layout (like I've done many time before) and for an unknown reason the line weight on the PDFs are really faint when I use the Chief Architect Save as PDF option to print. The Preview and the Layout both show the line weights on the PDFs at the correct weight. It's only when I save out the PDF that it goe faint. Nothing else on the drawings change. The weight for everything drawn in Chief is good. The PDFs themselves have the correct weight when you open them. It's ONLY when I'm saving out the PDF that the line weight gets reduced on ONLY the PDFs. 

See the photos below. They demonstrate what's happening.

1.image.thumb.png.4845b14ae7524acb4d6355a4fbe46f53.png

2.image.thumb.png.a262dabdade5946d6a4858bc89162648.png

3.image.thumb.png.7f68a48e3b9267cb0bc078e96c5d70ab.png

Here's what I've tried already with no change:

-Run in in both black and white

-Save the PDFs to the Layout file

-Toggle line weight on Layout on/off

-Adjust DPI

PDF's are a known problem in Chief but usually it is a display and performance issue and not a printing issue so it would be good if you could send this in to tech support.

However some potential workarounds would be converting the PDF's to .PNG or .DWG and importing that way.  

Also curious as to the source PDF's.  Are they Vector PDF's or have they been scanned or otherwise.

• Upvote 1

I believe they are Vector PDFs. 

Perhaps that's the way to get it done? Get them compressed (reduced to image size and remove vector data) then maybe they'll show up as images instead of being displayed as vector files? I'll give it a shot. Don't have time for a tech support back and forth unfortunately. 

Thanks Chopsaw!

Actually the vector files are more compressed and .PNG should do the best job of preserving that.  I have had the most trouble with scanned PDF's.

PNGs still didn't work. The files just print faint. 

I had to convert the files to PNGs and then upload them to a photo editor to increase the contrast and reduce the brightness. Making it REALLY black and white. Downloaded those editted PNGs and replaced the bad ones in the set. 

I can call it solved. 

Thanks Chopsaw!

You can change to B&W and adjust contrast and brightness right inside of Chief.  No need to go to an outside photo editor.

Chief PNG Edit.JPG

• Upvote 1

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    JasonS92
    Newest Member
    JasonS92

• By woodcraftdesign
      using live camera views in layout, how do I change the size of these in the layout sheet.  I would like my renderings to measure 12" wide but I cannot change the size. Probly just an oversight on my part.  
    • By kylejmarsh
      How can I speed up layout? Seems ridiculous that moving some text WITHIN LAYOUT and not even touching my synced viewports has such an awful lag time. I have a fast computer and the modeling is plenty smooth. I also have used lots of other cad software and even old, clunky dried-up CAD software doesn't have the terrible lag that working in Layout has. 

I've devised ways around it - trying to do everything in my model and nothing or as little as possible in Layout - but this is just bad and seems unnecessary. What is going on within the code when moving text like this takes a few seconds?

Is this common or am I an outlier? I've posted a video of the lag time here - can anybody else corroborate this lag? Is it time for a (nother) computer upgrade, or will even DeepBlue have a similar lag time? Is it some secret setting within chief that is slowing me down like this?

Screen Recording 2021-03-01 at 3.31.31 PM.mov Screen Recording 2021-03-01 at 3.23.19 PM.mov
    • By DGail1
      At one time, the hinge/swing direction of cabinet doors was displayed in elevation views, but it isn't happening any more.  Is there a setting that I need to change?  
    • By JamesKCI
      Hey all,

Sorry for the slight tongue-twister of a title. I'm here with another novice question.

When creating roof plans to send to layout, I'm running into an issue. After I choose to display all of my roof planes on the same level, they appear as though the program is deliberately displaying the lower roof planes on top of those that should be above. I've attached a couple snips showing an example of how one of my roof plans is drafted and another two with what that plan looks like in plan view. It's in the roof plan view but it looks the same regardless of the layer set I use.

Much Obliged

• By Sunnyfields
      I am trying to do a presentation plan and am using a top down orthographic view with watercolor and overlaid lines. I can't get the resolution I need exporting an image from CA so I have sent the view to Layout as a live view. We also tried it as an image. The problem is that every time I try to create a PDF two walls disappear. The view box is large enough, so I haven't cropped the view, I've had our veteran Chief guy look at it, and we're stumped. Here is the result:

Here is the view in Layout:

And Here is the print preview:

Has this happened to anyone else? I have tried outputting this about a dozen times and the same two walls are cut off every time. 

I am running CA Premier X12 on a Dell with these bells and whistles. I also have Bluebeam Revu as my PDF print driver in addition to the "Export" function in CA. I have tried to print and to export with the same result . Any help would be appreciated.