Wall Types Question

Joe_Carrick

I have a lot of wall types that I use.

Just for 2x4 Interior Walls I have:

• 1/2" Drywall Chase (drywall on one side only)
  • 5/8" Drywall Chase (drywall on one side only)
  • 1/2" Drywall (drywall on both sides)
  • 5/8" Drywall (drywall on both sides)
  • etc

Then, I have to decide if I want the "finish" to be a part of the wall type definition or to use the "wall covering" to specify paint, wall paper, tile, etc.

It can get a bit complicated.

Naturally, for Exterior Walls there are a lot more just because of the exterior materials.  In some cases I think it's easier to do a double wall (Exterior Wall plus Interior Furred Wall) depending on the construction, especially when concrete or masonry walls are involved.  The alternative to this is a lot of composite wall types.

Do  you break down your wall types in a similar manner? 

I've noticed on a lot of plans posted on the forum that there's almost no differentiation between walls in plan view.  That would mean the Materials List could be off by quite a bit.

My whole list is very basic with 'existing' 'new' interior and exterior basics that I will change per plan instead of cataloging each different wall type for future plans. For example I have a 'New Stucco' wall type with 7/8" stucco exterior and 1/2" drywall interior and 3 1/2" studs. We just did an as built with some narrow siding and true 4" exterior walls with 1" plaster walls. I simply renamed the Stucco wall type to Siding Plaster 4" for that single plan, changed the layers ( takes only 3 - 4 minutes as you know) and it's good to go for that plan, instead of adding an entirely new wall type to my already too long selection of wall types. If I ever need that wall type again I'll recreate it, again, instead of adding to my wall type list.

I started to keep all my new wall types as new walls but got way too cluttered way too fast.

54 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

If I ever need that wall type again I'll recreate it, again, instead of adding to my wall type list.

You can add New Wall Types to the User Library and bring them back in when you need them , to save having to recreate them , if you think you'll ever use them again , doing so automatically adds them to the Wall-types list for that Plan.

M.

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

You can add New Wall Types to the User Library and bring them back in when you need them , to save having to recreate them , if you think you'll ever use them again , doing so automatically adds them to the Wall-types list for that Plan.

M.

Yeah I just can't find the time or energy to stay that organized. I use stucco about 90%+ of the time here and recreating wall types actually saves me time because I would have no idea where to find the different walls, even though as you say it's easy and probably smart - maybe smarter than I?

On 7/30/2018 at 2:18 PM, HumbleChief said:

Yeah I just can't find the time or energy to stay that organized. I use stucco about 90%+ of the time here and recreating wall types actually saves me time because I would have no idea where to find the different walls, even though as you say it's easy and probably smart - maybe smarter than I?

More or less what I do..... worth 3 mins to watch.....

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/1920/productivity-tips-storing-wall-types.html

7 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

More or less what I do..... worth 3 mins to watch.....

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/1920/productivity-tips-storing-wall-types.html

Thanks Mick, old dog new tricks and all that stuff but looks likes a good way to organize wall types. I personally have a very difficult time incorporating some of Chief's features in to a work flow I've used for so many years. It's just faster but most of all easier to remember the old tried and true methods - for me.