Steps to Enlarge foundation, framing, roofing

DARYL178

I have a plan for a barn (30'x40', external 2x6 framing, 4:12 shingle roof, stucco) complete. I would like to extend the building by 10' on the farthermost wall away from the single entry door which is the left wall in plot plan mode. When I try to extend framing, foundation, etc, I begin to get big disconnects everywhere and missing walls. Could anyone explain the proper steps to perform this so I do not end up recreating all of my work? 

Barn2017.plan

Barn2017.layout

Move walls first then a line the foundation under it.  Then move the roof plane.  Some things will move with the wall like windows and doors.  Sometimes there's a items you have to move manually like furniture and objects.

8 hours ago, javatom said:

Move walls first then a line the foundation under it.  Then move the roof plane.  Some things will move with the wall like windows and doors.  Sometimes there's a items you have to move manually like furniture and objects.

After I think I followed your steps,

1. The external walls have been extended and moved

2. Framing didn't get rebuilt even though I have auto rebuild on

3. Additional trusses were added

4. Original Gable wall (with attic vent) is still in the original location.

5. Shingle roof properly rebuilt.

I have attached 3 pictures to show the above 5 items. 

3 hours ago, joey_martin said:

Edit area, should move everything at once.

I tried the Edit Area (all floors) with no success. Only the bounded area is enlarged; but no framing, foundation, or roof is modified.

ExteriorWallsAfter10'Add.png

FramingPerspectiveAfter10'Add.png

FullPerspectiveAfter10'Add.png

Cut and paste your attic vent into the new location of your gable wall.  Then you can delete the old one, it will be an unnecessary  attic wall.  Confirm that you have auto frame on for the walls.

If you haven't created trusses and everything is set to auto-rebuild (foundation, roof planes, wall, ceiling and roof framing then all you need to do is move the wall.  Everything will be done for you automatically.

Once you use trusses it's a different story.  Mostly because deleting the roof framing and ceiling framing turns off auto-rebuild.  As a result you need to use edit all roof planes and rebuild the framing, etc.

-Joe

• Upvote 1