Sign in to follow this  
thudchkr

Importing Sketchup into X6

I found a creation in Sketchup that I want to import into my plan. When I go to "Import 3D Symbol", it does not show .skp as a supported file type.  I'm using X6 for Mac. Looking at the forum, it appears that importing sketch up models has been supported, at least previously.  Am i missing something? Or am I impacted by a Mac thing, i.e. this function not supported by the Mac version of Chief X6.

Appreciate any enlightenment or guidance.

Clint

If I remember correctly the Mac version can import .SKP

but only 32-bit files

X6 Windows can import 64-bit and 32-bit

check Chief's manual for further details

Lew

Sketchup does not provide an API we can use on the MAC. It's unfortunate but since .SKP format is not an open standard we must rely on the provided API which does not lend itself to 64 bit. We are supporting collada which is an open format. You may be able to convert to that format or find files in that format instead.

See this article:

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00117/

X6 is supposed to be able to import DAE and SKP file formats--both are types which SketchUp can export.   I haven't got it to work yet, but if I can, that will be great for making custom shaped objects.

-Chris

I have imported skip and dae files from Sketchup. I have also exported dae files back into sketchup to export them again to dae files to import into my animation software. The collida exporting directly from chief does not export correctly??? I have posted in the support section.

Sketchup by Trimble 2014 Pro has many more files to save as. My suggestion would be to save as a 3DS. My experience is it is the most recognizable. for Chief X6. If you do not have Sketchup Pro, yo may download it for a trial period. 

I may be misunderstanding something, but I have no problems simply dragging and dropping SKP files directly into 64 bit X6.  Not sure why it would be any different on a Mac since Sketchup supports Mac and makes a Mac version as well. 

Mac's can only do 32-bit according to CA

check the release notes

Lew

Gotcha...so simply opening the model in Sketchup and saving as an older version might work??

yes, that is what had to be done in Chief for X4 and X5

or use the 32-bit version of Chief, which shares the library with the 64-bit version

Lew