All. I have recently been approached by a Kitchen and Bath Designer to help her do some of her drawings/take-offs. Does anyone have any suggestions on an hourly rate or how to bid the project?

It depends greatly on where you are and your skill level.

It's a tough one to advise on. Only you know how much time and effort it took you to put those together. I've had similar situations to yours and it was very difficult and often impossible to come to an acceptable financial arrangement. What will be an acceptable charge to the other designer is going to be dependent upon what the other designer is charging and how much of that they are willing to share with you. Is the other designer only designing or are they also selling product to the client or receiving commission on any product sales? I worked in the past with a designer who also sold the cabinetry, as such I assisted in the front end design work and then would receive a percent of the commission on the sale. This of course was dependent upon the sale going through, if the client walked then all was lost.

There is a lot of time and skill involved in developing accurate detailed plans for kitchens and baths. There is really no room for errors and mistakes, cabinetry is expensive as is installer time. Everything needs to fit properly and it takes considerable effort to make sure those built-in appliances are going to fit precisely into the cabinets. The other issue is if something goes wrong, you make an error, then who's going to pay for the mistake. A custom cabinet for a built-in oven/micro unit could be worth $2,000, it will have to be reordered, the install will be disrupted and someone is going to have to eat it.

What I have found over the decades in this business is that everything is great until something goes wrong.

What is what you provide worth to the designer and ultimately the customer? 

If you are making the process:

- clearly and fully understood,

- designed to secure a permit,

- efficient and managed on-site,

then you bring negotiable value. 

No no one can tell you that price. That’s yours to figure out. 

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    nicmac
    Newest Member
    nicmac

• By PranaKaren
      I have created a 5600SF heated, 8000SF under roof, custom house design and I am looking for a Professional Drafter who can use it to get me to the next step with proper drawings for an Engineer to review and to seek permitting, etc. I have already copyrighted my unique floor plan and am hoping to find someone who does not have an issue with me maintaining intellectual rights to my design. I am in central Florida (Ocala, FL/ Marion County). Thanks in advance for any advice!
    • By Jeff5151
      I am seeking some drafting and layout page setup help.  I am a Chief product user of 9 years and currently use X9.  I currently design and build but I,m in the process of phasing out all the construction and will be doing design and consulting only.

I create all my designs myself, but I’m looking to work with an experienced Chief user that could efficiently setup my designs in layout.  Once my preliminary first draft is ready, I would like to then have it set up in layout.  Setting up all of my pages, elevations, sections, and construction documents etc.   Allowing me to focus on even more design projects.  I would then do the final editing and adding of renders etc.  I would have other drafting and design work once we began to work together.

If you have interest, please email me some references, work examples in Chief layout form, and your typical pricing information.

I am Located in Alexandria Louisiana and do design work throughout the State.

Jeff Burns
      Digital Building Design, 3D Services, Color Rendering, & Project Consulting

C: 318-787-4412
      E: emailjeffburns@aol.com 
      E: plans@jeffburnsdesigns

Web: www.JeffBurnsDesigns.com

Follow me on Instagram
      Like me on Facebook
      Find me on Houzz
    • By JBKConstruction
      This message is for anyone who can use chief and wants to do some work. I have a license to chief but can’t draft efficiently yet. I need 12 details drawn in chief for a project I am working on. I have them drawn in auto cad but they don't copy over well at all. Is anyone willing to draw these 12 details for a total of $200.  Please feel free to call my cell at 209.263.1382. My name is Matthew. This is not a scam. I seriously need these drawn for a job and I can't figure it out and I don't know anybody that knows how either. If you draw them and send me a pdf to show they are drawn I will mail you a check or pay on PayPal, whatever you like. I live in Sacramento, ca so if you are in the area I will also pay cash. Thank you in advance. 

• By ChiefHD
      Hi, I've been working on a two-story house plan in HD Suite 2017. I have it very far along and I'm looking for a professional to review it and turn it into an official blueprint that I can use to get estimates with and ultimately build.

Thanks.
      HD
      Front.pdf
    • By strickdavid
      We are in Birmingham, Alabama and are soon to be building a house.  We have conceptual 2D drawings(attached) that we want the ability to "experiment with" to see how different ideas look.  Neither one of us have the time or experience to put these existing drawings in Chief Architect.  This software seems to be the solution to allow us to play with our fundamental design without having to go to architect every time we want to experiment with a different look. 

These plans that would be created in Chief Architect will not be used by our builder - so they do not need to be to code.  He has draftsman on staff that would covert them to their system.

We would like quotes to convert these plans to Chief Architect to allow us the ability to edit the plans ourselves.

David

FLOOR PLAN elevator 3d .PDF
      for 3d rendering.PDF