Room Structure (Dimensions)

kevbotes

Hello all,

When i design my rooms, i am getting a Gap between the top of the exterior wall and the ceiling (see attahced image (gap))

I have included an image of the cross section of the room (not to scale). Being new to this, i am really strugling with this, if at all possible, will some one please help me with the room dimensions in order to meet the the requirements as per the images ?

Regards

Kevin.

post-2260-0-55256900-1407933331_thumb.jpg

post-2260-0-63594500-1407933342_thumb.jpg

The Gap is/was because I don't think you have the ceiling structure setup in Chief as per you other image ,  in Chief your trusses are sitting on a 37mm plate which is on TOP of the CMU /Brick wall not inset into it per the PDF .   and you probably don't have the ceiling battens/strapping either ?  50x50 for that is unusual , at least here. (25x100/1x4") 

another note 6mm (1/4) gib/Drywall is not a good idea , it will be VERY wavy and look terrible , use 10-12mm minimum , 15mm/5/8 is not uncommon here for ceilings.

Cant open X6 plans sorry so can't look further , though not sure how you saved a Plan in the Trial Version ? I thought saves/exports were disabled ?

Yeah, i cannot save right now, I am tempted to buy this but; because it is a rather expensive outlay, I need to make sure it works fine with our building codes. To buy just for the save function is not be ideal.

I had someone create the plan with same settings so i could upload it.

That 37mm plate you talk of, that is the same measurement i am seeing as an indent on the top of the wall. Is there any where one would set up the materials and sizes of that plate ? We use a similiar method, but it is a 38mm x 114mm timber beam, placed on top of the wall. i would need to adjust the plat to that size, yes ?

Our ceiling battens are 38mm x 38mm, spaced 300mm apart on the centre-line. We use 6mm Ceiling board here too, and because of the close battens no wavy-ness to speak of. 

I am going to read up about ceiling structures, and see what I come up with - I have not being playing with it for long and am not yet familiar with ceiling structures other than the ceiling section on the Structure section of the Room Specification Dialog.

Perry is probably onto something there.....if you haven't done the framing  and don't have Chief displaying the framing in 3D views.

If you are Downunder ?  you might want to talk to (Users here on forum)  glennw or NickNZ or Bernie (kiwicad) or Kiwideziner  and some of the other guys Using it there very successfully.

You might also start with HD Pro ($495) if budget is limited initially, as I did,  while you learn the basics , when you upgrade you get a $500 rebate for Pro ( ie Pro's money back) so not a real deterrent to trying it out at all. At 1/5 the Price it's missing a "few" things :)   but certainly good enough to get going on , there is also a 30 day return policy if you really don't like it. (same as on Chief)

Strapping on 12" centres , makes a difference :)

M.