PBR Rendering Reflections and Exposure Blowouts

ckirste

I'm getting odd "reflections" and exposure blow outs when rendering with PBR. It doesn't change when I turn lights off or on, change the camera exposure, turn off reflections or turn off lights casting shadows, change sun angle or use the generic sun.

I thought the "reflections" by the sink were light bouncing off the stainless range and hood so I reduced the shininess of those, but it didn't make a difference. I restarted CA and tried again and same thing. 

My video card is up to date.  Am I running into a limitation of my machine?  I don't have any other programs running.

Thanks

Cait

CKirste_Kitchen.plan

CKirste PBR.png

Thank you Graham. I had adjusted the preset settings but nothing changed on those. The only way I could get what I would consider a normal setting is to reduce the generic sun to 500 Lux - an enormous reduction from the default of 100,000. Is this to be expected? I was able then to reduce the Brightness in the PBR settings from 100 to 28, which seems a lot more normal.

CKirste PBR sun reduced.png

15 minutes ago, ckirste said:

Thank you Graham. I had adjusted the preset settings but nothing changed on those. The only way I could get what I would consider a normal setting is to reduce the generic sun to 500 Lux - an enormous reduction from the default of 100,000. Is this to be expected? I was able then to reduce the Brightness in the PBR settings from 100 to 28, which seems a lot more normal.

CKirste PBR sun reduced.png

I typically use 50 to 100 lumens for sun brightness.  And don't forget what Graham and others have said: PBR displayed light intensity seems to be relative.  The intensity of a 100 lumens spot light is not an absolute 100 lumens in terms of what PBR displays.  That spot light will dim down if you add another light with 500 lumens close to it.  Having no backdrop like in your case also adds to the sun's apparent brightness through the windows.

Thank you David. I watched it and picked up some helpful info about how the backdrop changes the lighting.

It seems that when the sun is toggled on the lights don't all come on. I only have 12 turned on. Then when I toggle off the sun, the lights come on. Is there a setting somewhere that is controlling the scene lighting so that it "averages" or adjusts based on sunlight being present so the lights turn off? I'd like to be able to control this so that I can have lights on and still have light coming in from the windows.

Thanks,

Cait

Thanks cv2702,

That is helpful about the lumens adjusting relative and to know that 50-100 on the sun is not indicative of something else amiss.

I'd love to be able to adjust lumens myself in different parts of the scene with different outdoor lighting. It's basically my question above with wanting to control how much of which lights come on. Much more intuitive - this is what I was trying to do. Is there a way to get absolute lumens rather than relative?

2 hours ago, ckirste said:

... It seems that when the sun is toggled on the lights don't all come on. I only have 12 turned on ...

Number of active lights is controlled here:

image.thumb.png.8d6d1d547b6eebb626e088ab62a69429.png

and here:

image.thumb.png.873f479911af4c16f0ebb51bfcfee65c.png