78Design

x6 sections sent to layout back-clip min 6 inches

Hey guys, I've been Chief'in since 2006, so i know too much about this program. No easy answers. I know i could give more info, but really all my problems now-a-days from small glitches not user error(haha yeah right), so please don't reply getting all frustrated cuz I'm not clear about my problem.

Ok i need to get back to work so I'm gonna leave this here and hope for an answer:

My exact question is how do i set the "camera defaults" back clip setting to less than 6 inches. My problem is that after a send a cross-section to layout, the back clip value shows on the layout as about 6-12 inches, but still looks fine(1/16") on my section window/plan view/ everywhere else but the layout where i need it to look CLEAN. see attached pics also

To recreate my problem do this:

1. cut a cross section into the structure perpendicular to the sloped roof joist.
  2. you should see some roof rise in your camera view cuz the back clip is set to 24 inches.
  3. Set camera back clip to 1/16" and it will look like a very clean section ready to work up.
  4. the roof slope will not be visible because the back clip function is cutting the roof so it doesn't show any "rise" in the section.
  5. send that perfect view to layout with scale set to 1/2"=1'-0"
  6. now you should see the "back-clip" value of the new layout box OF THE SECTION YOU JUST SENT will be 6 inches or something greater than 1/16" (aka 0")

WHY?

thanks

Chris

1.JPG

2.JPG

example plan and layout file attached.

i renamed the file, erased everything, and made a small building and cut sections. same thing happened. 

opened chiefs default new plan file, and easily recreated the problem. Even when using "view to CAD" the program adds a little more back clip length than what you specify. its just wrong. its so useless and makes my life needlessly more difficult, or my plans a little uglier. I have found a fix for every problem chief has over the years but this one. HELP

Chris

PLAN 2018.plan

LAYOUT 2018.layout

I know what you mean about not showing everything but for me I need to cut the sections about 24" so I can show all the framing involved in each section so at 1/16, I might not get any framing.

I read all your guys other posts on this. yes i can see how doing that is guaranteed to get your framing members included, but you will get framing just fine if you grab the camera in plan view and put it right on the framing member(if the member has any thickness.) so even back clipped 1/16" it will show your rafter/joist cuz its less than that away from the center of the camera.

if it bugs you that the cam/cross-section line is directly on top of your framing member line, then it bugs you... get over it lol. thanks for the reply.

Chris

21 minutes ago, 78Design said:

I read all your guys other posts on this. yes i can see how doing that is guaranteed to get your framing members included, but you will get framing just fine if you grab the camera in plan view and put it right on the framing member(if the member has any thickness.) so even back clipped 1/16" it will show your rafter/joist cuz its less than that away from the center of the camera.

if it bugs you that the cam/cross-section line is directly on top of your framing member line, then it bugs you... get over it lol. thanks for the reply.

Chris

I don't need to get over it ,I like the way it works, your the one who dosen't

Drawzilla Chief is amazing. I will never get over how great a program it is.

I was describing how to show your framing members(rafters/joists) without leaving the back-clip value at 24 inches. Do so by placing your camera cross/section line directly on top of the framing member line in plan view. But it might bug you to have overlapping lines in plan view just to get a good looking section. It might not bug you. I don't know how easily bothered you are. Me, I'm pretty thick-skinned most of the time.

Have you tried putting the camera line on the framing member? Doing so will show your framing, how you like, but also not include any roof rise or fall in the section cut so it looks "CLEANER" if you reduce the back clip value to 1/16".

I always appreciate help from total strangers. Thanks internet.

P.S. remember how paper and pencil didn't have these problems. lol

Chris,

Here's something else you might try.  Its easy to forget that Chief creates Cross Section Lines that are essentially live CAD work.  If you unlock that layer you can group select and Copy/Paste all the linework (without or without Auto Detail components)...essentially resulting in a true zero backclip section cut. 

It may not be relevant.

I have been racking my brain and looking at defaults, but wasn't there a setting that specifically related to the framing back clipping?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, glennw said:

It may not be relevant.

I have been racking my brain and looking at defaults, but wasn't there a setting that specifically related to the framing back clipping?

Yep.  Its in the 3D view defaults.  Good reminder Glenn.

Thanks Michael,

Where else would it be!

Not sure if does anything to help in this case.

Setting it to 1" (the minimum) may help.

Note that if it is set to zero, there is no back clipping - so you probably don't want that.

THANKS for the tip, but no luck

I tried it on current section cuts and a new cut after i changed the 3d value. but after sending to the layout the roof still shows depth lines. rough life.

I am satisfied knowing the problem has gone out to the brightest minds and come back as just a program isolated glych. Thanks guys

chris