Hello,

I am looking for a solution. I have CA X10. I am fairly new to the software.

I have a old house I am trying to replicate on a plan. The first floor has 2"x7.75" floor joists that are connected directly to the sill plate which is a wood block 5.75"W  x 7.75"H. 

The wood block sits on top of a 8" CMU foundation wall.

There is a porch outside with the joists connected directly to the sill as well, BUT, it has a double rim joist (2) 2"x7.75"

I tried 2 things:

1. I set the foundation to have a sill plate of 5.75"W  x 7.75"H. and the floor joists build on top of the sill.

Question 1: Can I tell the floor joists to build with the sill?

2. I set the foundation to have no sill and set the floor framing rim joist to 5.75"W  x 7.75"H.

This worked accept for 1 thing BUT: when I build the porch outside it has a rim joist of 5.75"W  x 7.75"H

Question 2: Can lock the framing for 1 or multiple rooms on a floor so when building new rooms on that floor they have different floor framing?

My solution is to set the foundation to have no sill, and manually place the sill on the foundation wall using a floor beam and build the floors.

Am I doing this all wrong or am I on the rite track?

Thank You!

GF

One setting that may help you out a bit is in Foundation Defaults :  "Hang 1st Floor Platform Inside Foundation Walls"  but you will likely still have some editing to do after that.

Also when posting detailed questions it really helps to include some screen shots and in situations like this the .plan file can be quite helpful as well.

Hang floor.JPG

Yeah,  always helpful to post some screen shots and post the plan file.  Some of the old time helpers are lacking the energy to ferret out what you want so the easier you make it for them,  the more they will help.

• Upvote 1

Also fill out a signature with version, OS, etc...

Always helps

Chopsaw's large sill plate issue is similar to mine.  His seem to align perfectly with the foundation wall but ever since I finally got the Sill plate to show up as USED in layer display I have not been able to get the Foundation wall, the Sill plate and the Wall framing/Floor joists to line up.

image.thumb.png.ed67c56af1b34510addedb05266bbece.png

The second issue is that the floor joists have a 2" x 6" notch to rest on the Sill plate. 

image.thumb.png.c5c912df0618d2484dc76db193989140.png

So far I have only discovered how to put Floor joists either on the Sill plate or Hanging in between the Foundation walls. Is there a way to

put a notch in the Floor joists to rest on the Sill plates.

Thanks for any help,

Pete

PlotV3_2018_07_27.plan

@pj42pj42

Usually best to start your own thread, and ...

Please take a minute to fill out your signature (see mine for an example) by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left. 

This info helps others help you.

Your version of Chief (X9, X10) (Premier, Interiors) is the important info.

Make sure you turn on View Signatures too.

SIG.thumb.jpg.af17109346e9446432098056e258623d.jpg

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    slickrick1530
    Newest Member
    slickrick1530

• By pj42pj42
      I had a problem aligning the Foundation, the Sill plate and the Framing.  The problem started after I finally got Sill plate to
      appear as Used in Layers. After more than one day of no progress I decided to restart and build a new plan from scratch.

I went through defaults on the new plan repeatedly before starting any drawing. Sill plate is not yet indicated in layers as Used. (For that matter, Foundation is not yet indicated as Used) The Framing has not started yet, but there is already a lot of difficulty just aligning the foundation to the first floor.  When the Foundation wall is being traced over the Reveal floor outline, the square Endpoint indicator aligns the Foundation wall to roughly the middle of the Reference wall, not the exterior edge.

I tried re-sizing the foundation wall lengths to the correct dimensions, after re-sizing the two floors are the same size but are still not aligned with each other.  (I started by extending the first wall in both directions. Each subsequent wall was extended away from the first by using the arrow indicators for dimension re-sizing)

I tried applying a 5" Foundation offset in the Foundation wall definition.  The square Endpoint continued to register ~5" away from the exterior edge of the first floor Reference wall line.

I tried applying a 5" Bridge ledge in the Foundation wall definition. The Foundation wall continued to mis-align with the reference wall above.

If I try to manually move the foundation wall, CA won't allow a perfect overlap.  Maybe this has something to do with snaps.  The snap settings are all default, I've tried to understand snaps but so far not enough to attempt changing anything.

Any help greatly appreciated,
      Pedro

Plot2V1_2018_07_29.plan
    • By gdesignbuild
      I am just working on a masonry garage design, and have been held up trying to figure out some details. One is for steel lintels that I am putting over the openings. The closest thing that you can use as a header type is a steel-box but I will be using steel angle. The header column shows the dimensions including the length of your lintel but only gives 1.5" on each side of the opening. Is anyone familiar with a way that I can change this to more? Otherwise, I will just remove that column and leave a note in the comments.

Second issue: When you pull your cross sections from a CMU building, it shows your trusses sitting right on the block. For now I have manually drawn my plate in with an anchor but I was curious if there is a way to do this as well?
    • By CBRF23
      Does anyone know of a good way to create a 2 story fireplace?

I've been struggling with this for a couple of days now, and have tried multiple options but haven't been able to create anything I was satisfied with yet.  I've got a family room that is open to the room above, and I want to create a fireplace which extends to the ceiling of the room above.  The closest I came to a working solution was defining the fireplace chase as a room and changing the height of the ceiling there, but that also causes another (exterior, unconnected) wall in the living room to change ceiling heights, screwing up door and window placements on that wall, and I'm sure more problems to be uncovered down the road. 

My plan is attached. 
      I'm using X9 on windows 10 64 bit. 
      cottageplan_171113_1137.zip

• By CBRF23
      Hi, 
      I'm having a very troublesome problem where anytime I modify a wall definition I cannot seem to create a room!   
      Please see the attached plan.  I'm working in X9.  I created a new wall definition by copying the exterior siding-6 wall type.   
      I've drawn an enclosed space, but cannot create a room to define the space!!

Any help or advice is much appreciated.  Has anyone else run into a similar problem?
      No Room.zip
    • By SNestor
      Can anyone tell me why the sill plate corners don't come together?  Is there a wall setting that controls this...that I might be missing?  Or....is this just the way the program works?

Thanks for looking...