Clothes Dryer Vent

• 7 months later...

Late into this, but for future reference, the code does not limit the length of the vent, it says that one can use the manufacturer specifications. Most dryers have up to 30 feet vent capacities. Read the CRC section again.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:45 PM, jorgearaya said:

Read the CRC section again.

I'd be careful here, it absolutely limits the length, you need approval as well as a stated requirement  in the mfr. spec:

its from california mechanical code, CRC points to CMC for this:

504.4.2.1 Length Limitation Unless otherwise permitted or required by the dryer manufacturer's instructions and approved by the Authority Having Jurisdiction, domestic dryer moisture exhaust ducts shall not exceed a total combined horizontal and vertical length of 14 feet (4267 mm), including two 90 degree (1.57 rad) elbows. A length of 2 feet (610 mm) shall be deducted for each 90 degree (1.57 rad) elbow in excess of two.

Just some final thoughts on this, there ARE some dryers in the current market that state vent length requirements in excess of the CMC requirement. You still need to get it approved with your building official, and some jurisdictions will only approve it if it seems necessary in working with the existing building envelope and potential obstacles.

Something to keep in mind is that the next homeowner or even existing client may replace a failing dryer without knowledge of the additional vent length requirements.

Designers/draftspeople should ask themselves, what will you do to ensure you are properly covered in case this happens, always good to talk to your carrier and ask these questions.

I myself will general avoid a mfr allowance if I can stay within the prescriptive measures of the code...why chance it on the liability? if it poses a question could I be held liable, I'd rather avoid it alltogether.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Something to keep in mind is that the next homeowner or even existing client may replace a failing dryer without knowledge of the additional vent length requirements.

This^^^^  Good piece of advice Rene. 

• 4 weeks later...