X5 and Windows 10 Pro

rwdozier

Hello all. I am still using X5 as it meets all of my needs. Back in October 2016, I upgraded my system from Windows XP to Windows 10 Pro, installed X5 on the new system and all has been operating fine until just a couple of weeks ago after a recent Windows update. Not sure is that is what caused the issue or not. Now upon launching X5, a pop up error window says X5 is missing several DLL files. Looking at the location of these DLLs, they are there but with a current date/time stamp and zero file size. I restored just these DLL files from a backup and X5 works fine for a random about of time. When it quits, I restore the files again and all is fine for a time. Opened a case and CA tech support says to perform an X5 repair installation to see if that corrects the issue. I am hesitant to do so because I can have it working by restoring the DLLs from backup and I am afraid that if the repair install blows up, I am stuck. Any suggestions?

a clean re-install should not hurt anything

not sure I understand why .dll's would keep "disappearing" like that ???

you could also try contacting MS tech support - if you Win 10 PC is still under warranty

I purchased a support plan from MS for $149/yr and they solve issues for non MS software also

probably some limits ???

beware if you do a google search for windows tech support

most of the vendors are scammers - just looking to get access to your PC etc

Lew

Many thanks to all who replied. Here is what I hope is a final solution to the issue.

Please note that I failed to mention that my new machine in October 2016 had Windows 10 Pro x64. So when I fresh installed X5 back then, I installed the 64 bit version and the 64 bit update. X5 64 bit  had been working just fine until I submitted a this recent request for help. Per your suggestions here, I did a repair install of X5 64 bit and it seemed to work for a day or so and the issue reappeared. Then I uninstalled X5 and did a fresh install of X5 64 bit. Again, it seemed to work for a short while and then the issue reappeared. I noticed that I had 32 bit X5 install files from my old XP machine so I uninstalled X5 64 bit and did a fresh install of X5 32 bit and now as of today, the issue has not appeared.

Thanks again to all who replied!

Bob:

I'm not an expert but that just doesn't sound right

you should be able to install/run X5 64 bit to run on Win 10

I'm thinking you had a mix of 32 and 64 for X5 and it was confused

a good clean flush of everything X5 related and a reboot then a fresh install of X5 64 bit

but, if its working - probably best not to mess with it

Lew