Is There A Faster Way To Label Existing Doors And Windows Than One At A Time?

zowie123

Hi all,

I label existing doors and windows on the schedule by opening them one at a time, checking specify label, and placing an (E) before the label.  It shows up on the schedule.

Is there a faster way to do this?

Thank you, z

I tried adding a label prefix from the schedule window, that added an (E) globally which can't be overridden with specify label.  There seems to be some confusion about label and number in the programming.  Hard to explain.  

May Existing labeled objects are windows and doors that will be different in each job, I'm not sure storing them in the library would work.  

Hard to keep track of old and new stuff in large demos. 

Thank you for your suggestions.  

I tried adding a label prefix from the schedule window, that added an (E) globally which can't be overridden with specify label.  There seems to be some confusion about label and number in the programming.  Hard to explain.  

May Existing labeled objects are windows and doors that will be different in each job, I'm not sure storing them in the library would work.  

Hard to keep track of old and new stuff in large demos. 

Thank you for your suggestions.  

Zowie,

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were wanting "(E) = existing".

I sometimes use different Schedules for Interior vs exterior doors but there's no real designation in the Schedule of Existing vs New so I either suppress the Labels and/or Exclude the existing from the Schedule.  Perhaps a comment could be added in the components of a door stored in the library.

OK, so here's the trick:

1.  Place a Door in a Plan

2.  Select it and open the Components Dialog

3.  In the Comments Field enter (Existing to Remain) or whatever information you want.

4.  Add the Door to your Library and Name it so you can recognize it

Any time you place that door in a Plan, that comment will come along and be a part of the Schedule information.

OK -- Here's the problem with that -

You add a comment and save to library to reuse.

You then bring in but decide the dims are wrong so you change them .. Your comment is erased.

Better to use Sub- categories.

OK -- Here's the problem with that -

You add a comment and save to library to reuse.

You then bring in but decide the dims are wrong so you change them .. Your comment is erased.

Better to use Sub- categories.

Gerry,

I don't have a that problem.  I simply store each door size in the Library.  That way, I place a 2668 Existing Door or a 3068 Existing Door or .....

OTOH, I have added Sub Categories for HEAD, JAMB & SILL Details in my Default Plan which includes a CAD Window for each Schedule Type.

Pick your poison.

I've got enough Junk in my library that I prefer one size fits all

OTOH -- I personally believe in the cardinal programing rule that you NEVER erase any user entered Data - at least not with out a warning.

Gerry,

I can understand that.  Is it only the "Comments" field that gets erased if you change something such as the width of a Door?

I have to have my basic Door in the Library in order to bring in the values of custom Sub Categories.  What if I then replace one of my Doors which has the Sub Categories that I've added with another Library Door.  It would really be nice if Chief would allow us to edit the Default Components and not have to go thru the Song and Dance with each object.

Hmmmm......

I need to do some experimenting.

Gerry,

..... Is it only the "Comments" field that gets erased if you change something such as the width of a Door?

Pretty much -- But any Chief field that is editable & standard is overwritten. SOOO - if you change the description,etc. it will get overwritten too. This is actually an improvement as in the past everything was dropped, and rebuilt. Sub-categories are not overwritten -- after some long complaints!!

Progress???? -- (But their still not listening) This gives me some "heartburn" as the Code field is accessible from Ruby macros, which I could use as a ID field, but it gets overwritten too and is therefore useless.