Video Card RAM Issue

Westlanedesigns

I recently had a new desktop built. My video card is a Nvidia GTX 1070. It is an 8GB card. when I look at my message log it says I only have 4GB of ram.

OpenGL Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Renderer: GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2

OpenGL Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 384.76

OpenGL VRam: 4095

OpenGL GPU Count: 1

OpenGL GPU VRam: 4095

OpenGL GPU Driver Name: nvoglv64

OpenGL GPU Driver Date: 6-27-2017

OpenGL GPU Driver Version: 22.21.13.8476

OpenGL GPU Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

OpenGL GPU Device Path: pci\ven_10de&dev_1b81

Here is my system.

Windows 10 Pro

Intel Core i7-6900K

Nvidia GTX 1070

Crucial MX300 275GB SSD

Crucial 4X4GB DDR4 2400 RAM

Anyone have a similar issue? I have Chief X8 and X9 on this system. The message log in both programs say the same thing. If anyone is running Windows 10 Pro with an 8GB card can they have a look at their message log and tell me if you are getting a similar message? This could just be a logging issue.

My Message Log.txt reads the same as yours except you have a newer driver.

Not quite sure where you do CTRL+F from but Nvidia and Windows read it as 8192MB but I did see another program recently that read it also as 4GB and I was surprised at the time but now I can't remember what software it was.  It does seem to be a known issue that chief does not report it properly.

I think it is just reporting incorrectly from what I recall from previous discussions but I think it should be an easy fix for Chief that would prevent a lot of questions.  If anyone has evidence otherwise or can confirm this it would be much appreciated.

I believe what you are seeing is the amount of video card memory Open GL has set aside for it's use. Keep in mind that each running program, depending upon the total amount of available memory, will block out a certain amount of memory for it's exclusive use. Your video card has to service more than just CA, all of your other running programs are also using the video card and as such they also need memory. Things will be faster if they are not over writing each others data so they divide this up. I would not be concerned with this, it's normal. Download GPUz and it will tell you how much video card memory is actually in use. I think you will be surprised at how little of your 8 GB is actual being used.

50 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

I believe what you are seeing is the amount of video card memory Open GL has set aside for it's use. Keep in mind that each running program, depending upon the total amount of available memory, will block out a certain amount of memory for it's exclusive use. Your video card has to service more than just CA, all of your other running programs are also using the video card and as such they also need memory. Things will be faster if they are not over writing each others data so they divide this up. I would not be concerned with this, it's normal. Download GPUz and it will tell you how much video card memory is actually in use. I think you will be surprised at how little of your 8 GB is actual being used.

I have two other machines the vRAM in the message log for both of those machines displays the same RAM value of the card. My notebook has 2GB message log says 2GB, My older desktop has 4GB message log says 4GB. I am just trying to figure out If there is a problem with Windows 10 ability to use 8GB or CA to use 8GB, or if there is a problem with my desktop. Based on Chopsaw's response it would appear it is either W10 or CA. If I have time I will pull the 8GB card and put it in my older machine that is running W7, although I think I read somewhere that W7 was only capable of using 4GB of video card RAM.

Just now, Westlanedesigns said:

I have two other machines the vRAM in the message log for both of those machines displays the same RAM value of the card. My notebook has 2GB message log says 2GB, My older desktop has 4GB message log says 4GB. I am just trying to figure out If there is a problem with Windows 10 ability to use 8GB or CA to use 8GB, or if there is a problem with my desktop. Based on Chopsaw's response it would appear it is either W10 or CA. If I have time I will pull the 8GB card and put it in my older machine that is running W7, although I think I read somewhere that W7 was only capable of using 4GB of video card RAM.

Download GPUz, that's the program that is used by just about every graphics card tester. It will tell you what is really happening. The difference you are seeing may be due to the fact that Open GL will allocate whatever it can up to 4GB, it could be that for Open Gl it is unlikely to need more than that. As I said, you will likely be suprised at how little video card memory is actually be used. Also, allocate memory is differfent from actual memory used. Actual memory being used is what really determines functionality, problems will only arise when actual exceeds allocated.