sharpe_c

Rafters

I am having trouble with creating a rafter system on a roof. The roof planes are correct as required but when I am creating rafters, particularly where 1 or more roof plane overlap (due to dormers) the rafters seem to follow the "wrong" roof plane.  How do you select what roof plane you want a rafter to follow??

37 minutes ago, sharpe_c said:

I am having trouble with creating a rafter system on a roof. The roof planes are correct as required but when I am creating rafters, particularly where 1 or more roof plane overlap (due to dormers) the rafters seem to follow the "wrong" roof plane.  How do you select what roof plane you want a rafter to follow??

If you build the roof correctly,  the rafters will auto build if you have that function turned on.  

• Upvote 1

I have to put rafters in manually as I am doing an "As Found" drawing of a 1903 house and things are no necessarily space evenly.

In that case, you will just have to use the transform/replicate, rotate & trim/extend tools to get those the way you want them.  If a rafter is totally within a roof plane it should align with that roof plane.

• Upvote 1

If you are having issues with multiple roof planes and editing an existing auto rafter is impossible then you may have to resort to solids that are not influenced by the roof planes.