Bay Window Over Sink

RobUSMC

What is the best way to create a three unit bay window over a sink? The three windows are a single unit with no framing between them and cantilevered to the exterior. See attached example photos.  Thanks

Rob

post-180-0-49403700-1404303620_thumb.jpg

post-180-0-23275800-1404303649_thumb.jpg

Rob:

Your 2nd photo doesn't look like it would work for a climate zone where heating is required ... not much thickness for insulation.

There have been many threads on bay windows that I think you should go read.  I think all your questions will be answered if you go see what's already been posted on ChiefTalk.

Insulation is a factor now , normally we'd use 2x8/10 now top and bottom to allow for insulation thickness and/or use Rigid Foam

this was discussed last month here.....

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/1187-bay-window-picture-frame-casing/

(EDIT: The post above includes the Windows- JC posts about down below ....in post 5.)

Here's a quick test plan I just did with a bay window behind some base cabinets using Chief's bay window tool, stretching the dimensions, and I played around with the roof over the bay a little.  Unfortunately, when I fixed the outside view of the bay (by dragging down the top handle), I created a major view issue on the interior side with OSB now showing.  If you want to play around with it, have at it.

BayWindowBehindSink.zip

I think there might be benefits to just building the bay with walls and windows separately but I would probably go back and review prior threads if I had to do one of these myself.

That window in the OPs original post is an Andersen Unit Bay Window.  It's a pre-manufactured unit.  I have developed Symbols for these and they should be able to be used in Chief as "Projection Windows".  Unfortunately, X6 didn't quite get it right and there are problems with the opening being properly sized and finished.  Currently the method that works best is to apply one of the Symbols as an exterior furniture or fixture item and create the opening behind it using a "Pass Thru Window".

-Joe