CBC code question

Hi Guys,  I am hoping you can help me out.

I am designing a CARRIAGE HOUSE/ACCESSORY UNIT  per the 2016 CBC

It is 3 story,  1st floor is garage and the other two floors are habitable.

The question is,  since it is a 3 story,  do I need 2 exits/2 sets of stairs from the 3rd floor ......

and if so,  if I limited the top floor to less than 400 s.f.,  do I still need 2 exits.2 sets of stairs or can I get by with only one set of stairs.

It seems to me,  that if the 3rd floor was limited to 400 s.f.,  I  only need one set of stairs per the UBC,

5915cb91b5ada_ScreenShot2017-05-12at7_49_31AM.thumb.png.43ae54ef86997af64b771eb9de68bc66.png

it's been many years since I've done a true 3 story, because the cities are so height anal here,max. heights are around 32' or around that height depending on the city, but we used to be able to use a roll out ladder, and it had to be quick accessible on the 3rd floor. We just kept it in a closet.  Done lots hillsides but those don't qualify as a 3 story. Those were the good ole days.

do you need a copy of the CRC, let me know i'll send it to you?

1 hour ago, DRAWZILLA said:

....do you need a copy of the CRC, let me know i'll send it to you?

wow,  if you can send me a copy,  that would be awesome,  thanks.

I suggested the definition first, because of the exception in it, from there, you find the group, the group then takes you to amount of occupants, from there one can have a place to look for the rule in the code, however, before looking at what the code says, the next step is to find the applicable zoning code for that group and area where the building is located at, and delve into the exceptions and fire escape requirements for that jurisdiction and type of construction. What has applied to my projects in the past may not necessarily be what applies to his condition.

It might only be a UBC CODE requirement.

The exiting Chapter, Section 1004.2.3.2, exception 4, allow 1 exit from a third floor of a dwelling unit, if it does not exceed 500 sq ft. So if you have 501 sq ft on the 3rd floor, a second exit would be required. If this is an "existing 2nd floor", I would assume it is definitely over 500 sq ft, so the above is probably mute.

R311.4 Vertical egress. Egress from habitable levels includ- ing habitable attics and basements not provided with an egress door in accordance with Section R311.2 shall be by one or more ramps in accordance with Section R311.8 or one or more stairways in accordance with Section R311.7 or both. For habitable levels or basements located more than one story above or more than one story below an egress door, the maximum travel distance from any occupied point to a stairway or ramp that provides egress from such habitable level or basement, shall not exceed 50 feet (15 240 mm). 

Assuming you read the code sections in both the CBC and CRC pertaining to means of egress, the required fire escape exit is probably what is most confusing, some R groups and types of construction are exempt from the requirements when you have fire sprinklers.

Typically for SFD there's only one required egress exit, with unobstructed path of travel and length limits, these limits and the limits in stair travel are two different things so, one has to figure out what works.

The emergency escape is still required in sleeping areas, and it needs to meet the typical dimensions, if not then you must provide the rest of the requirements to allow escape. (In reality these are there not necessarily for a person to "jump" out of a window and escape, that would only work for able bodies, a person that is not able to negotiate the jump or escape can not benefit from that, so, the requirement is really more for the "rescuer's use")