Having trouble getting dimensions to work off angle

Northriver

I have a site plan that does not have any 90 deg angles. Its more like a parallelogram. I am trying to lay out buildings around the perimeter at the set back lines that run parallel to each lot line. Chief is having problems (actually the operator) dimensioning to these slightly off angle lines. Is their a trick to get a dimension to stick to the lines that do not run parallel to each other besides drawing a line at each location to snap to? I am finding that chief dimensions do not like to snap to anything off angle. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I have done that to make the buildings, driveways and roads parallel to where I need them. I have to show dimensions. If you try to dimension to a line in chief that does not run exactly north/south and east/west it will not stick.

I just tried making a box with an odd angle.  If you draw a manual dimension line from corner to corner, it will make it parallel to that line.  You don't even need to hit the make parallel button.  The trick it to draw the dimension line from corner to corner than manually move it away from the property line you are measuring.

Another simple option, although it takes a few clicks, is to just draw a line between the two points you want a dimension for; give it arrows on each end if desired; then show length (and/or angle).  You can do the Ctrl D step as well.

Thanks Ben for pointing me in the right direction. I am going to try turning off angle snaps. Point to point dim work but you cannot move anything with those. It was getting very frustrating trying to dimension to things that are not parallel. Everything in might sight plan does not have lines that run true N/S and E/W. Even if the line is off by 1 degree the dimension line won't stick.

Thanks again.

PS: I did not know that the make parallel tool performed 2 functions. Nice to know.

I just finished putting in set back dimensions for a plot plan without messing with angle snaps or anything.  For the north side of this 4-sided lot, the angle was N83°24'46"W the dimension snapped right into place at the proper perpendicular angle.  For the other 3 sides, all with bearing angles very close to N/S or E/W, I had to zoom in and "monkey" with them a little but they too snapped into position OK.  So, maybe Chief is handling these off angle dimensioning scenarios OK if we just fiddle with them a wee bit.  Just my experience with one plot plan today.