Chief - Grandview Plan Set

SNestor

I have been watching the videos Chief put together concerning the "Grandview Plans" they created.  The plan set is impressive...good use of the 3D capabilities Chief has.  Also, the details are very nicely drawn using color fills to enhance the details.  

First question:  

- I'm wondering how much you would charge to create a similar plan set...I realize the cost will vary depending on where you work.  Or...better yet, how many hours should it take to create a similar plan set once the design work is complete?  The Chief plan set is extensive...and impressive.  Very well detailed.  

Second question:  

-Does this set of plans represent the type of plans you typically put together for your clients?  I ask...because it seems to me to be a bit of overkill...but, maybe not.  I'm wondering if your builder clients would want to pay for a set this detailed.  Or...even a more detailed set.  

Just curious.  Thanks.

Steve, I don't think the "Grandview Plans" way of doing plans is TYPICAL for most of us.  I've only had one client so far that wanted that kind of detail, and around most Code offices they just want the nutz and boltz in stead of the tensile and frills! My one client wanted to impress some bankers I think.....maybe developing plans to such a degree as the Grandview, would be nice to show investors in a sub-division, or in a high-class neighborhood controlled by HOA?

I personally look at that plan set as not a lot of specific detail but more thorough pictorial examples of what they want to accomplish.  What I find very interesting is their cross sections which have a lot of the same non-sense I get when I do mine....but they just leave all those extra (error) lines showing.

1 hour ago, johnny said:

I personally look at that plan set as not a lot of specific detail but more thorough pictorial examples of what they want to accomplish.  What I find very interesting is their cross sections which have a lot of the same non-sense I get when I do mine....but they just leave all those extra (error) lines showing.

I think every cross section and detail has been created from a "Cad Detail".  It appears to me that section cameras were sent to a "Cad Detail From View"...then edited (made to look better?) and then sent to layout.  As such, these views aren't "live"...which might be ok if you knew 100% there wouldn't be any further changes made. 

Based on the limited responses...I gather this set of plans really isn't typical?  And...not very interesting to most people.  

I personally like the overall look of the plans...the 3D renderings and framing perspectives...I think things like this can make your product stand out in the "design/drafting" world...maybe not.  Of course you still have to find a client willing to pay you adequately for such workmanship - and that may be the bigger problem.  

I think most architects would find this an "odd" set of plans. There are things that would normally be detailed, but aren't, like decorative beams, brackets, and columns, or fascia/rake/gutter/flashings. Seamed metal roof to asphalt shingle transition? Then there are things that are oddly "over-detailed" like framing elevations of standard beams in walls, and some of the kitchen/bath details which include furniture but no manufacturer/model numbers of fixtures. Then there are things that most architects know are fraught with high liability, like dimensioning rough openings. (Window manufacturer gets changed, and then it's all wrong.) Also, no real specifications. (Hardware? Drywall finish? Roofing product? Moldings? Warranties?) I think the set is impressive for what it shows Chief can do, but I wouldn't feel good about sending it out for bids. Then again, I don't know if Chief is representing this as the "real" set of construction documents.

• Upvote 2