Importing AutoCAD details into CA

capitaldesigns

I am starting to import my details that were drawn in AutoCAD into CA. I imported them into a plan file then made the changes to make it look correct in CA such as line weights, layer names and fill patterns.

It was suggested to me that I copy them into a layout page then save the details to my library from the layout page. I was told that when importing the details into the layout pages on future

projects the details would be inserted at the correct size.

I copied and pasted about 10 details from the plan file into the layout page. They came out around 60 times larger then they are suppose to be. I scaled down the details to the correct size.

The fill patterns were not scaled down along with the rest of the drawing. Circles that I used to represent rebar now comes out as a plus sign. I have to rescale all of the hatch patterns so they

show up in the smaller details.

I did save one of the details to the library from the plan file and then in the layout page inserted the detail from the library. Again the detail came out huge. I scaled it down to the correct size.

The hatch patterns and circles scaled down with it correctly. When I exploded the detail the circle again showed as plus signs and the hatch patterns disappeared.

Is there a better way of importing all of my details that were drawn in AutoCAD over the years. Converting them into CA details and being able to insert them into the layout sheets without them coming in 60 times larger and if I need to explode the detail to make a modification to it, I do not lose the hatch patterns, rebar, etc. ? 

Thanks,

Mike

I do not know reasoning behind importing into plan, moving to a layout and then adding to a library. Without a file hard to tell. 

I would:

1) Create plan file called  "MyDetails.plan".

2) Create a new CAD Detail.

3) In that cad detail import your dwg detail. Make all your detail about same size and same look and feel.

repeat steps for every detail that you have.

In the layout file attach this details plan and send the detail you need, adjust the scale. I would not waste library space.

Every plan that needs details attach same details plan file.

=

IMHO size doesn't matter as long as they all about same scale. You can send every detail at let's say 1/8" - 1 scale.

Mike,

You will likely get a number of opinions, but here are a few suggestions that have worked for me.

Import your details into a CAD detail window. This can be either a CAD Detail in a plan or in a Layout. Then you can send the detail to Layout from the CAD detail. The reason to do this is that each CAD window can have its own scale, which it will retain. If you have a CAD detail window that is set to, say, 1"=1'-0, then when you send it to layout, it will be automatically set with that scale. (This is set in the Drawing Sheet Setup under Print.) Also, line weights, lines scales, etc. will look the way it will look on the Layout, so you have an accurate preview. So, all of the details in any one CAD window should be at the same scale. You can have as many CAD details as you need, and you can label them to be helpful. You can have a bunch of foundation details in one window, or one detail per detail window. There is an advantage to one detail per window in that the automatic labeling in Layout will work correctly. I think using the detail windows in the Layout is good for standard details because they will always be available when you start a new project using that Layout.

After the detail is created, I would store it in the Library, too. Personally, I think the library is a great place to store your details, even if only as a backup, because you can organize them  in folders so they are easy to find. Unfortunately, scale is not retained in the Library, so when you place a detail, it should be placed from there into a CAD window that has the correct scale. It is unfortunate that hatches explode into a myriad of entities, so you might want to consider replacing ACAD hatches with Chief hatches.

Thanks for your help. I will try importing the details into the CAD detail window.

I like the idea of saving my most commonly used details in a plan file called typical details.

Then in each project I'm working on I can added not typical details to this plan, modify details

as needed or delete details that do not apply to the project. Then sending that detail plan to a

layout the layout sheet.

Thanks,

Mike