Sign in to follow this  
Mardie

Polyline Fill - centering

How can I center a fill pattern?  For example. I'm creating a tile floor pattern and the cross angle hatch doesn't center in the allocated space.  Even in a perfect square, it still does not center.  Also creating an elevation of tile designs that don't allow me to center the design from wall to wall, as it would be installed by a tile setter.   Am I missing something?  Thanks

I personally don't use hatch patterns for this type of thing.  I'll typically use polyline solids, solids, or linework.  Here are a couple of videos I made a while back that might give you a few ideas.  They were made for ceiling grids, but the same basic principles could apply. 

Elevation views are usually a different story.  You can usually just adjust the material definition to get what you're after...

post-46-0-32169600-1470344352_thumb.png

post-46-0-71872000-1470347535_thumb.png

How can I center a fill pattern?  For example. I'm creating a tile floor pattern and the cross angle hatch doesn't center in the allocated space.  Even in a perfect square, it still does not center.  Also creating an elevation of tile designs that don't allow me to center the design from wall to wall, as it would be installed by a tile setter.   Am I missing something?  Thanks

Sorry, you aren't missing anything.  Your best bet is to follow Michael's advice, since Chief doesn't have a good way to control pattern lines.

For the folks at Chief if they are seeing this thread, this is what I think the OP is looking for.

Sorry, you aren't missing anything.  Your best bet is to follow Michael's advice, since Chief doesn't have a good way to control pattern lines.

Yep.  It would be nice though. 

Mardie, here's a link to a suggestion that was made a little while back that could really help with situations like this.  Maybe add your vote to that thread...

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/9645-ceiling-grid-tool-for-us-light-commercial-users/?hl=grid

In plan view, hatch patterns have their origin at 0,0.

So...you could create a new hatch pattern or edit a hatch pattern with a different offset origin.

This is a real hassle though because you would need a different hatch pattern for each different origin and if your room changes size, you would need to redo the hatch definition.

Thank you - I have created several polyline multiple copy sizes, but your video was very helpful because it was much more efficient than the way I was creating them.  Thank you - Alaska Son