Simple U shaped stairs (or so I thought)

MikeD56

Just trying to make a simple U shaped stair way. I have a 6' wide hall in which the stairs are to run.

Bottom - 3 stairs winding 90 degrees

Middle 12 stairs straight up

Top 3 stairs winding 90 degrees

I did 1 section of 3, slightly angled, then the next section of 12 straight, and then the final section angled - post-144-0-42472500-1400441898_thumb.png

I selected winder in the DBX - post-144-0-96513200-1400441909_thumb.png

And I get this - post-144-0-17015500-1400441924_thumb.png

If I make the stairs less than 3' wide I get this - post-144-0-79338500-1400442198_thumb.png

Neither of the two are correct but I just don't seem to be finding the right solution to this. I know others have complained about the stairs but I just thought this type of thing would be easier. Wasted 2 1/2 hours and it must be something simple I'm missing here?????

You can't bend the stairs like you have shown.  They won't work that way.  If you want winders, you need to make a 90 degree curved stair section.  The line to arc tool might work for you. 

Winders tend to be a bit tricky.  I recommend that you search the videos/help articles on "winders" for more help.

All thanks

#JCaffee - I looked at that originally and thought I had done as directed. That is what I was using to try and solve my problem.

#KilgoreTrout - Not sure what you mean by "line to arc" idea but I'll research.

I'm wondering if it's an issue with using 3 treads (6" min @ the smallest and 11" min @ the widest) and how the building code is programmed into the app. I'll play around more tomorrow.

Are you holding down the Alt key as you drag the end of the stairs around?

Looks to me like you are dragging without the Alt key - the Alt+ drag curves the stairs instead of just rotating them.

Or, you can select the stair and hold the right button down as you drag from the end of the stair.without using the Alt key.

My guess would be that 3 winders at those measurements are not big enough to swing 90 deg.?   you said it is 6 feet wide,  so no way 3 x11" treads will turn 90 deg with a 6ft wide radius....probably needs 6 or 7 treads to swing 90 deg.?

you can do 3 winders (in the software) but they would be very wide 4ft along the outer wall each ? so the walking line measurement wouldn't meet code I don't think, 4 might do it assuming walking line is 18 " off wall ,varies by code.... some codes don't allow more than 15 risers in any one flight of stairs without a landing too, but not sure if this is a real situation or not......

not sure why you need the line to arc tool ?  just hold the Alt key and pull top of staircase whichever way you need too ,to curve it...after drawing the 2nd straight run. then add the 3rd straight section.

M.

#glennw - Thanks. Yes I was using the alt key, or at least i did on several of the tries at getting this to work. Might not have done it when I did the screen capture. Didn't know the right mouse button functions as the alt key. Great tip THANKS.

#kbird1 - The hallway was 6' wide. I was only looking to make a standard 3' wide stair. CA made the stairs the full width of the hall after I checked the winders box in the DBX and had the stairs 3' or more wide. If I make the stair width less than 3' then CA displays it correctly, i.e. not the full width of the hallway.

Thanks all for the information.