Dimensioning rafters?

MickeyToo

Nope. This is a "View 2 CAD" detail, and when the dimension is selected, the make parallel tool is not available. That tool is available if a line or other CAD object is selected, but not a dimension line. I have the same problem with odd angled walls working in plan: I can't get the dimension line to be parallel with the wall. Is there some setting that affects this other than the unrestricted angle setting? I am working in Chief 9.54, but I would not think that would make a difference???

Yes, it makes a difference.  V9.54 is pretty ancient by software standards.  If it doesn't have the make parallel tool for dimensions, then it's not going to be as easy.  You may be a able to set up a wall angle in your plan defaults to the same angle as the rafter or odd wall and get it to work.

I came across a training video on one of the six cds I purchased the program (#527), and at least in plan, Chief is suppose to automatically keep the measurement parallel on any angled wall as long as unrestricted angles is toggled and the measurement is pulled near enough to the the wall. It is not working for me in plan, or in the CAD detail so I just thought that maybe there was something else I missed. 

I came up with this solution: Draw a short cad line just above the rafter (it's not really a rafter, of course, it's a cad line); set point markers on either end of the line; dimension with the end to end dimensioning tool; reposition the point makers to the ends of the rafter. There must be a better way.

As for measuring odd angled walls in plan; I simply drag with the end to end dimensioning tool (as in the training video) close to the wall. Unlike in that video, the dimension line is skewed and the make parallel tool is not available to help. Note that I have had to set cad lines perpendicular to the wall ends in some instances (I use a cad box to do that) b/c Chief won't recognize the wall end on these odd angled walls. 

Can I assume there are no dimensioning problems like this in Premier?

post-571-0-70902100-1399944765_thumb.jpg