Walls short of cathedral ceiling- losing above door

MarkMc

Pantry in a corner- cathedral ceiling, single story ranch. Need to be open above pantry-architect wants a platform on top of pantry.

Draw as half walls, adjust size and looks fine.

But if I add a door and I lose the wall above.

Draw as normal walls, turn off auto rebuild, change room definition and structure tab for the pantry to height I want but walls take on the other room height.

Someone know how please I've played with what I know to no avail?

post-85-0-98632600-1399742586_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-19312400-1399742598_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-84916500-1399742609_thumb.jpg

Thanks-Rails or walls for pantry? what for walls upstairs?

Tried a few things- not the sharpest tool..

Got two walls good, third with exposed framing instead of rock, holes in cieling, roof and exterior walls- resorted to p-solid for now, only needs to look right really but want to figure it out- will go to old forum after I get it price up.

Didn't think you'd be around, aren't the big guns about to tee off?

What is the dsh law?  Yes,  the dsh law,  if you have a one story house,  have two floors,  if you have a two story house,  have three floors. In your case you have a one story house,  add that second floor,  put a new floor above your pantry,   make the walls  invisible,  now you have the pot/shelf blah bah.....  whatever you call it,  above the pantry.  

And do yourself a HUGE HUGE HUGE favor,  go to  3D<3D VIEW DEFAULTS<OPTIONS and check the AUTO REBUILD WALLS/FLOORS/CEILINGS,  this will auto rebuild the structure every time you make a change so if you look at it in d you will see the changes take effect immediately without remembering to have to hit the F12 key.

So Scott , you always make an extra floor even if unused ? (0" finished ceiling I presume?) care to elaborate pls...

M.

0" does not equal finished floor,  0" = ground floor elevations.  Downside to have an additional floor is none.  Upside to having an additional floor is you can have WALLS DEFINED AS ROOM DEFINITION,  IOW,  you can have a ROOM above the floor.  You can NEVER have a     ROOM on the attic level.  There are times when I want a ROOM above first floor.  Try to put a ROOM on ATTIC LEVEL,  you can not have a  ROOM on the attic level.