wall cabinet bottom to conceal lighting

rlackore

That is a lot more complex work-around than adding a molding to a wall cabinet.

I personally don't think the molding is complex or a workaround. I was just trying to offer an alternative. Not exactly sure what you're overall goal is it what your issue with the moulding is but the toe-kick thing is just what came to mind.

I don't know a lot about how cabinets are built, but I was assuming that there must be a "standard" way of modifying the box construction without tacking on a molding at the bottom. So I was wondering if there was a something in the cabinet dbx that I was missing.

Like Michael I usually just note it- I also add a CAD detail as typical.

IF you really must make one in a frameless cabinet in CA here is one way-library with example attached.

A framed cabinet will have an appropriate recess.

edited to add-note that it will be incorrect in the cabinet schedule since the height is cheated.

recess bottom wall cabinet.calibz

post-85-0-19666800-1460406481_thumb.png

post-85-0-91282900-1460406491_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-53198800-1460406499_thumb.jpg

I just noticed that if the bottom separation is changed to anything more than 1-1/2" with a framed cabinet the recess disappears- guess that is what you are running into?

I only put in LEDs so standard recess is adequate for what I do. Only work around is as on a frameless cabinet (not worth the effort IMO)

But it would be nice if they changed it so you could increase the bottom and keep the recess.

Just got back to my computer and played around with it for a bit. I think the quickest and most accurate method to achieve what you're looking for is by setting that lower face item to be an inset side panel. The bottom of the box could be built either using a Separation or by placing a shelf manually...and then if necessary, use the vertical overlap as Mark suggested to make the door look right (would require a taller separation at the top as well). If you don't need the extra door overlap, just skip that last step.

post-46-0-20001200-1460408771_thumb.png