Cabinet filler

johnny

So working with cabinet tools now  - i have to say here is where Chief really shines - and I was wanting to place a "filler" cabinet.  Searching on the forums I found an old thread that said making a cabinet section was the best way to do that.  Its from a much older version of CA, but is that still the method?

I agree. Chief really shines with cabinetry (what we mostly use it for actually).

With regard to fillers, it really depends on your goal and how accurate you want to be. A filler is actually a filler (no box). If you place a filler and then uncheck filler, the filler will be changed to a full cabinet with a totally blank face (could also be done manually to a cabinet instead of changing a filler but unchecking filler is faster).

I personally pretty much never use fillers and do it all with custom boxes and scribe moulding so I pretty much always use actual caninets (no fillers) for all of it.

You should keep in mind that a filler is not a panel. Fillers are usually used where cabinets abutt to a wall or transition in corners. They are only say 3/4" thick and up to 3" in width and placed in alignment with the front cabinet box edge. When needed I just select the "Build" "Cabinet Filler" option as they are already properly configured. If you convert an existing cabinet to a filler you should also delete the front components and set the area "blank", otherwise you may get some strange lines displaying.

Graham