Snaps and Dimensions

johnny

I can't quite get a handle on dimensions inside CA.  Manual dimensions seem to be able to snap sometimes, but when I draw interior dimensions those dont seem to have snap ability to align.  I've looked for a setting but dont see one.

I can't quite get a handle on dimensions inside CA.  Manual dimensions seem to be able to snap sometimes, but when I draw interior dimensions those dont seem to have snap ability to align.  I've looked for a setting but dont see one.

What are you having a hard time snapping to or aligning to?

So if I draw a series of interior dimensions, and then want to align them along the same line (if I didn't pull them across that way to start obviously) I can only "eyeball" the alignment - they dont snap.  However, when I draw a completely manual dimension, they do seem to have snap points to align more easily.

Tomorrow I will try a video to explain better.

Johnny,

I am pretty sure that you cant snap to a dimension line.

If you want to align 2 dimension lines accurately, you could use the Align/Distribute Objects tool. 

Say you have 2 (or more) horizontal dimension lines and you want to line them up with each other.

Select both dimension lines.

Select the Align/Distribute Objects tool from the Edit toolbar.

If you want the lower dimension to line up with the upper dimension, check Top Edges, OK. 

The lower dimension line will relocate and snap to the upper dimension line. (Similar for the other options).

Usually it's just easier to extend the existing dimension line, although using the above technique, you can align dimension lines with gaps between them - same as a Blank Segment which we can now do.

• Upvote 1

So if I draw a series of interior dimensions, and then want to align them along the same line (if I didn't pull them across that way to start obviously) I can only "eyeball" the alignment - they dont snap.  However, when I draw a completely manual dimension, they do seem to have snap points to align more easily.

Tomorrow I will try a video to explain better.

Glenn pretty much summed up what I would suggest as well.  I think he's right too...none of the dimensions will actually snap to each other.  Some will continue adding segments as you drag, but if you stop the string you won't be able to snap to it again UNLESS you use the little diamond edit handle beneath the dimension which will pull a new dimension segment off either end of the first segment. 

I personally pretty much always do exactly as Glenn suggested to align dimensions with each other...use one of the Align/Distribute tools.