CAD Block Names - make them your friends.

Joe_Carrick

When a Symbol is used its CAD Block is usually named to match the Symbol name.  That's helpful because it allows you to find it in CAD Block Management and even Insert it in the Plan independently from the Symbol.

However, when you just Block some CAD Objects Chief names them block1, block2, block3, etc which doesn't much - how do you know which block to choose.  However, you can rename them by opening the blocks' dbx and changing the name.  Then when you want to use that block it's a simple matter of opening CAD Block Management, Hotkey "V", selecting that block from the list and Inserting it.  This is particularly useful when creating Details since there is an attribute object_type that contains the name.  That can be used in a macro to automatically annotate the object using Leader Line Text.

That would be a problem - I'm often actually wanting a new block with a different name and still keep the existing block.  If you use the same name all the existing instances will be changed.  Sometimes that's helpful but sometimes it isn't.

The way I do things, it would save me a lot of time, maybe an option to have the same name. I'm always exploding and saving all the time

Perry,

One way to do that is to "copy/paste" the name.  You already have the CAD Block in the list so just open CAD Block Management and copy the name from there and paste it as the name of your new Block.

...If you use the same name all the existing instances will be changed.  Sometimes that's helpful but sometimes it isn't.

Speaking of this, I just happened to realize a little earlier today that we have the capability of using CAD block instances dynamically.  Can you share what situations you've found (if any) where this might be particularly useful?  

Usually it's when I want to modify the 2D Block of a Symbol that came from the Library.  That Symbol may have been placed in several rooms, on different floors, etc.  By modifying the Block and giving it the same name I change all instances in the Plan.  I can then save one of the symbols to update or add to my Library.

I do simple text note macro's for roofing, stucco, tub-showers, whatever. Change the macro and it changes every instance in your plan, very handy. Been doing that for years now, since Ruby was included.. In fact it was the first thing I learned about macro's. Very simple to set up, as you go along, then done ,and you never have to do it again. Huge time saver