brinkbart

Icons for .plan, .layout, .calib and .calibz

As you know, the file icons for .layout and .plan files are annoyingly similar. I think in later versions (X4?) they may have tried to make it easier to distinguish between them, but you have to admit the icons are not great.

For my use, I have made new icons for .layout, .plan, .calib, and .calibz files. it is VERY conspicuous which is which.

It's easy to change file-type icons in WindowsXP, but to set them in Windows7, you will need a third-party application (I recommend the free program FileTypesMan).

The attached thumbnail shows what the icons look like in the various Windows 7 views. Although I haven't tested it, these should absolutely work with Windows 8.

post-210-0-71390700-1393263024_thumb.jpg

post-210-0-91978300-1393263035_thumb.png

ca_filetype_icons.zip

I totally agree ... layout and plan file icons do look too much alike.  Great idea!

thanks , these look nice , didn't realise Win7 doesn't allow icon changes either so thanks for that tip as I am using Win7pro.

M.

I have always found the icons to be a pain, so I just turn on the display of file extensions and then don't have a problem.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    labarchitecture
    Newest Member
    labarchitecture

• By No1ZZTopfan
      Instead of spending hours searching, I prefer to do this. My apologizes.

I've designed homes in previous versions of CA. All the way back to 4. Well, computer HD crashed a while back and nearly lost everything. After new HD, installation of CA 12 w/bonus materials, its back to normal. However...

When I render anything in any of the 6 houses in version 12 I get this alert window (see pic) telling me it can't find the files on the list. Instead of spending hours replacing each one, I would like to know if there is way to simple delete or restore them back to their default material setting, delete them altogether, anything! I can't seem to do them (delete is dimmed) either for some reason. Thanks in advance.

Using CA 12 with all bonus materials.

• By BIGHEALY
      Not able to import 2014 pro files into 2018 pro.
    • By ericepv
      What's your favorite source for high quality icons and material finishes?
    • By kbruntz
      I am a few months in as a new user of CA. I am slowly learning the symbols, but I could really use some sort of cheat sheet or guide that shows the icon and the description of what it does. Does anything like that exist?

Thank you,

Karen

I use version X8 on a MacBook Pro.
    • By linChief
      Just wanted to share some installation instructions for the older Chief Architect 10 on newer Windows OS, including Windows 10 without using a virtual machine.

The instructions are the same for each OS.

Here are the steps to follow to install Chief Architect 10:

1.  Install Chief 10 normally
          Note: during the install it will complain about not being able to install the Aladdin Device driver - just click OK.

2.  Download and install the Chief Architect 10.08b Full Update for Windows Vista (works with Windows 7/8/10)
           http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/updates/update10fhist.html

Note: during the update it will complain about not being able to install the Aladdin Device driver just click ok.
      3. A) Download and install the following HASP USB Key driver.

Sentinel HASP/LDK - Windows GUI Run-time Installer – required for HASP4 API older than v8.0
          http://sentinelcustomer.safenet-inc.com/DownloadNotice.aspx?dID=8589947119

3. Optional - One user had a standalone key (Gray Label), that said "SafeNet Sentinel" on it and had to download and install a different USB Key driver:

Sentinel Driver     v7.5.9     Sentinel SuperPro, UltraPro SentinelPro, SHK From:
      ftp://ftp.cis-app.com/pub/hasp/Sentinel_Legacy/SPI/Sentinel-System-Driver-Installer-7.5.9_Windows.zip

4. Finish installation on first run of Chief - Right-click on Chief Architect 10 icon and choose "run as administrator".
          Note: Right-click on the Chief icon and choosing to "run as administrator" for first run, this is not needed after finishing setup during the first run.

5. If it asks you when it starts up to check for updates for Chief, select No or Cancel since we've already done that by downloading the latest (and last) update for Cheif 10 in step 2 above.

Enjoy your version of Chief Architect 10 on Windows 10 / Windows 8 / Windows 7.