Raytracing shadows

Designer1

Is there a way to view shadows from trees in a raytrace preview before starting a raytrace?  My issue is I keep starting raytrace and it prepares and runs for about 4 minutes before I see where the shadows are.  Then I have to shut it down and move the trees again to get the shadows from the trees where I want them.  There has to be an easier way to see this.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I personally feel that 3D trees are not worth the tax on cpu resources. All in the name of getting a shadow on a tree! I also think they look less real than the 2d ones.

Am I alone here?

If it's that important you're better off importing your cherished scene into Photoshop and drawing in a few sloppy shadows.

Just my two cents worth...

• 3 weeks later...

I have the default raytracing settings so that I can run one very quickly. Within a minute or so for 2 passes. I would recommend at least 2 passes as it will give somewhat proper lighting. So then I go through that a few times until I can get the trees where I want them. I prefer the 2d trees as well. Then you can change to a more comprehensive raytrace setting.