Defaults - CA

johnny

So if I want to use CA on a new computer - transferring the "key", how do I get the defaults I have set for one system to the next?  I see in "import" there is a section for "default settings", but I don't see that same option in the "export" section.

Thanks.

Johnny,

If you copy your Default Plan to the new computer, it will have the Defaults.

"Import Defaults" simply imports the Defaults from an existing Plan to the current Plan.

btw, if you hover the cursor over a menu item and press F1 it will bring up the help for that menu item.

By "default plan" he means the one used for new plans.  Preferences - General - New Plans -

That will have an effect on new plans.

Toolbars and hotkeys are often perceived as part of your defaults.  If you've modified them, you can get your changes onto the new computer by finding and copying those files to the same directory.  We customize our location, but I believe by default they are in a directory called "Chief Architect X7 Data" in your user folder.  It really is as simple as find the right toolbar name, copy to a jump drive or over a network, paste right over file of same name on new computer.  Hotkeys have only one file.  There's a directory for Toolbars and one for Hotkeys.  Have Chief closed when you do the copy.

And the Defaults you see under Import - no Export because source file is just another plan file.  To test:

Start a new file.  Change some default, like maybe your window grill pattern.  Save as something that will make sense, like "windows 9 over 1.plan"

Start another new file.  File - Import - Defaults - select that file.  A list will pop up where you can select which plan defaults are available to "borrow" from the source plan for use in the current one.

You probably don't need to import any default settings when migrating to a new computer.  You probably want to transfer all of your user data, including all of your template plans, to the new computer instead.

You should read this support article for more information:

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00001/migrating-chief-architect-to-a-new-computer.html