My first manually built roof.

Electromen

I built this entire roof manually.  I just couldn't get automatic to work right.  I've never used manual before.  It's been a long learning process.  It's also my first attempt at Terrain.

Neither the roof nor terrain is perfect, but I tried.

These drawings are not my design, they came from an architect.  I'm putting them in 3D for the builder.

post-84-0-57441300-1397069168_thumb.jpg

post-84-0-35365600-1397069189_thumb.jpg

post-84-0-07192400-1397069211_thumb.jpg

I always use auto roofs to start with and of course it never does everything the way you want it.  Then, at some point along the way, I have to turn it off and fix manually. Been doing it that way for a log time now..

Greg, I have been using manual roof planes myself for a short period of time, I still have a lot to learn but I could never get Automatic Roof Planes to do what I wanted. So after watching several of the roof building video by these fine users, such as video's by Scott, and by David Michael. (I can't stand watching video's done by Chief Architect, They put me to sleep) I gave it a whirl. I started out with a basic box, moved up from there. I'm not perfect, I still come across a lot of problem and hesitate to ask because I'm stubborn. I'll bust my butt on it something until I'm ready to explode and then I ask for help. About the Terrain tools... I have never really used them before. My three major areas I need to work on are Foundations, (especially crawlspace with the garage floor lowered) Roof's, and Terrain tools. All in all, I think you did a wonderful job!

Greg, I have been using manual roof planes myself for a short period of time, I still have a lot to learn but I could never get Automatic Roof Planes to do what I wanted. So after watching several of the roof building video by these fine users, such as video's by Scott, and by David Michael. (I can't stand watching video's done by Chief Architect, They put me to sleep) I gave it a whirl. I started out with a basic box, moved up from there. I'm not perfect, I still come across a lot of problem and hesitate to ask because I'm stubborn. I'll bust my butt on it something until I'm ready to explode and then I ask for help. About the Terrain tools... I have never really used them before. My three major areas I need to work on are Foundations, (especially crawlspace with the garage floor lowered) Roof's, and Terrain tools. All in all, I think you did a wonderful job!

Rosco, Thanks for posting.  It sounds like we're in the same boat.  A revelation of me was when I realized I could break the roof plane and have more than four handles.  Some of these roof planes have eight.  Terrain I did manually using multiple  elevation lines.  

Foundations will be the death of me! I'm trying to create a crawlspace with the Garage on grade and have it look the way it's supposed to look. Here are some pic's of what I'm trying to achieve. I'm pulling my hair out with this one. I'm sure it's something VERY simple that i'm over looking. (Put the wine down Ross and I'm sure you'll figure it out) My next goal is to create a walkout basement WITH terrain. I always avoided the terrain tools. Keep up the good work!

post-58-0-20608200-1397093739_thumb.jpg

post-58-0-15461000-1397093756_thumb.jpg

post-58-0-08338600-1397093773_thumb.jpg

post-58-0-19738900-1397093789_thumb.jpg

Jay thank you for posting that plan. After futzing with mine, I'm still going NUTS! Mine won't do what I want it to do!? What the heck am I doing wrong? I'm going to post the plan on the Q&A section of this forum, I don't want to keep hijacking Greg's thread. Maybe you can take a look at it there. Thanks for your help! I greatly appreciate it!