Curt, this isn't an issue of a specific font, it is a checkbox in Chief.

It appears that when unchecked the text actually becomes about 2/3 the size.  I just leave it checked.  When I specify 6" text I want it to be 1/8", not 1/12".  Apparently un-checked it translates to some typeface size - pixels or points are something.......???

Joe:

Thanks for looking into that for us. I appreciate it. Not sure if I will change what I am doing now based upon your research. I have toyed with the idea of changing to Arial several times over the years but I like the "draftsman hand-drawn look" of CB.

Thanks Wendy , great videos , appreciate you putting in the Time to do those, I picked up a new Annotation Set and some nice Tips too,  like how useful Alt-Q really is....

For someone who claims not to be a good trainer , those are excellent , you obviously enjoy what you do, and  can tell you do with a smile on your face,

unlike some of Chief's Own Trainers ....... I certainly haven't watched  20 for their Vids in a row !     :)

Mick.

edit : as Rich pointed out ...definitely worth a point or 3 , thx.

Alt-Q tool is very important to me. I use it all the time. So many people don't really even know of this tool and how helpful it can be.

CAD scaling is a departure from normal font scaling. What it does is to scale the text such the letter A is the height that you desire when measured from the bottom of the letter (baseline) to the top of the letter. Normal scaling goes from the baseline to the ascent which is often, but not always above the top of the A. This varies greatly depending on the font so is a very confusing topic. This sort of scaling is what most people who came from a hand drafting background would use. However, it is not at all like what someone coming from a background of publishing would use. Most people who use Chief probably want the CAD scaling, but we do offer the other option if that is your preference. It is much harder to get different fonts to look the same size if you are not using CAD scaling.

Doug,

For a CAD Program - who would want anything other than CAD Scaling?  I'm just asking because I can't imagine there would be anyone and I'm relatively sure it's not even an option in other CAD Programs.

CAD scaling is a departure from normal font scaling. What it does is to scale the text such the letter A is the height that you desire when measured from the bottom of the letter (baseline) to the top of the letter. Normal scaling goes from the baseline to the ascent which is often, but not always above the top of the A. This varies greatly depending on the font so is a very confusing topic. This sort of scaling is what most people who came from a hand drafting background would use. However, it is not at all like what someone coming from a background of publishing would use. Most people who use Chief probably want the CAD scaling, but we do offer the other option if that is your preference. It is much harder to get different fonts to look the same size if you are not using CAD scaling.

Thanks for 'splainin'  

I do think it's good to have both options.  For instance, we use Chief for any graphic layouts!  Hey, it's the tool I know.  ;-)

As with many things, know how something really works can make all the difference.

Joe,

If you write in all caps in your CAD docs, then CAD styling is fine. If you use upper/lower case, as I do, then some fonts look terrible with a line spacing imposed by the CAD program, especially if you are using large blocks of text like specifications, and in fact, the program may cut off the bottom of the descenders.

Richard,

I understand.  All my specifications are done outside of Chief using other apps.  General Notes and almost all other text in my Plans/Layouts are all caps.  I will take a look at any cases where I'm lower case text and may uncheck that box in those RTB's

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    keldhaigh
    Newest Member
    keldhaigh

• By ChiefuserMathews
      Could someone please explain to me how this default set work with saved plan view? I have been watching the videos and reading the help files over and over again last 2 weeks and I am still confused. My issues are follows

1. I have a saved a plan view called "Floor Plan View" and I have a 1/4" scale default set attached to it. with layer set as "Floor Plan Layer Set". Under the selected defaults "Dimensions I have 1/4" scale dimension defaults and I have changed "edit dimension default" (pencil icon) and changed the layer to dimension, floor, Rich Text to text floor etc.

2. Now I want to use the same "1/4" scale default set" for my ceiling plan under the "Saved Plan View" in the project browser. Now when I add a dimension or text to the ceiling plan I get warning "the layer text, floor" is not displayed. do you want to turn on the display of this layer in the current view?" If I say yes it will turn on that layer and what ever I dimension or text i have added on the floor plan will appear in the ceiling plan which I don't want. I know I can change the layer but that defeats the purpose and will be time consuming
      Does that means I can use the 1/4" scale only once? Is that I am doing something wrong? I cannot explain anything better than these. It driving me crazy and confusing.

3. If I use the electrical or NKBA default set how would I know which scale factor is used for the dimension or text style? Or does the layout page adjust dimension text and text according to scale factor?

• By CHROMATICGA17
      Need to set default pricing for product/materials to use as default template. This way generating my materials list will be quicker.  I do not want to enter vendor specific pricing.  I want to enter labor pricing for specific materials.  I want this to default to my setting per item/sf/etc. each time i choose that template to start a plan. 

I hope this question makes sense.  Please help.
    • By YoderW
      Hello!

I'm working on a huge plan right now, and it's starting to run really sluggishly so I decided to take some time out to troubleshoot and clean up the file a bit. I've done a few suggested things (purge unused materials and CAD symbols, for example), and moved on to my layers. When I started the file, I imported all individual layers of the CAD file so I could work on the plan bit by bit, but it also resulted in a lot of unnecessary data being added to the scene. I'm trying to go through and delete all the layers I don't need or have finished with, but most of them won't let me. Some will claim there's still something on them despite nothing showing up when I hit Control+A, and others will switch to "Used in defaults," after I deleted everything on them. But I don't know what that means, and I can't figure out where in the defaults they're being used so I can turn it off.

The layers that claim they aren't empty when they should be are bugging me, too. Control+A, zooming out and dragging a box over the scene never select anything for me to delete, but they still say "in use." I may be able to provide a back-up if necessary, though I'm not sure my company will allow it and, again, it's a very large plan. Can anyone help?
    • By LeeDrafter
      Hello,
      I am having an issue with layer sets for elevation views not showing correctly on layout. I am trying to accomplish a one page layout with live (color) views of different versions on one elevation. I want four versions of the same elevation on one page.

I made layers for window shutters and corbels. For the default elevation layer set "section view set" I turned on shutters. Then I made a new layer set, a copy of "section view set" but renamed it "Elev B-Corbels" and turned off the shutters and turned corbels on. I sent two elevations to layout, one from each layer set. 

Then I saved the same plan as a new name to change the gable siding to shakes. (I don't think this can be done just by using layers, but if so please let me know). I made a new layer set called "Elev C-shakes" just for clarity even though a new layer is not needed because it is a totally new file. I turned off corbels and shutters and changed the gable siding to shakes.

I saved a new plan for the stone option similar to what I did for the shakes option.

The layout views don't seem to be keeping there association. For example, when I work on the original file on the "Elev B-corbels" layer, it changes the layout view for the "section view set" layer. And when I work on the separate files for the stone, it updates all the layout views as if they were all linked to that file.

Another problem is even if the layout looks good on Chief, when I print to pdf, it has different layout views. 

Is this a problem with having multiple files sent to the same layout? They are all saved in the same folder. Or is it a problem with making new layer sets for elevation views or using live views instead of plot line views?

Thanks for your help.

layout.zip
      original plan, 2 elevation layer sets.zip
      shakes plan.zip
      stone plan.zip

what prints.pdf
    • By JanHalter
      Hi there!  I have been searching for a bit, and attempted a few things to no avail.  Anyone have a step by step tutorial (or is it just not possible?) on how to at the very least import an existing title block from Revit or CAD to Chief?  I am far from proficient in Chief at this point and wondering if it's possible.   We want to make sure the title block matches our Revit sheets exactly...in case we have to draw something in one program vs. another in the same CD set.

I tried exporting to .dwf from Revit and importing into the layout page, however it doesn't allow me to import that file type into the main layout page.

Also, am I blind? I can't figure out where to put my signature...so I just typed info below.

Janea
      Rafter P Construction
      Cheif ArchitectX10