Lees Working.planOk so I'm using x7, doing a remodel. The existing plan has been established. I'm wanting the center area (which was a courtyard) to become heated space, with a 20' ceiling, with high windows in the protruding area. I want to see the walls when I build the second story, and maintain temporarily all the roof planes on the existing plan in order to work on the new roof. When I add 2nd floor, and edit the walls to the shape I am looking for, the walls do not build in 3d view, just the floor and ceiling. If I rebuild the roof, I don't know how to maintain the planes that were auto built before, as they are unedited. However, rebuilding the roof seems to be the only way to get the walls to extend up to the second floor. I must be missing something. Attaching plan...

If you can't figure this out, let me know and I'll help you online. I assume you're doing a "save-as" for the proposed plan.

You have to pull the roof eaves back, then build a second floor.

post-95-0-96851700-1434726479_thumb.png

You do realize that when you do the proposed plan, you need to move those existing roof planes back in order to generate the new walls to where they can be seen above the existing roof planes.

If I am understanding you I think all you need to do is select all the roof planes and then cut them, build 2nd floor from 1st and then paste hold position. Then transform replicate the roof planes to desired height.

Thanks for the tips. Could it be that simple? Moving the planes out of the way? I will see. Thanks again.

Basic rule: 9 times out of 10, a roof plane will always cut a wall off.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    shelleymorris
    Newest Member
    shelleymorris

• By 9atatimer
      I'm using X11 premier on a mac -- I have an exterior garage wall (with a centered garage door) and a gable end -- I'd like to split the attic wall of the gable end into 3 parts -- the central region above the garage door, and the left and right, to have a different material above the garage door.

I have Default Settings > Roof > Auto Rebuild Roof set to Off
      I have Default Settings > Framing > Automatically Build Floor and Ceiling Framing Off on all framing types.
      I have Default Settings > Walls > General Walls > Auto Rebuild Attic Walls set to Off

If I delete the roof and ceiling planes with Build > Roof > Delete [X] and then use the Build > Roof > Build Roof ... dialog to rebuild the roof and attic from scratch -- I leave the Auto Rebuild Roofs set to Off, to be clear -- and then edit the resulting gable roof on the attic layer, I can split it twice to produce the three separate wall sections, but once I change the exterior material on any of the sections, the three wall segments get replaced with a single wall again.  The new wall has my selected material, but that does me no good as I need the distinct secgments.

Anyone know what setting do I need to turn off to maintain the manually edited gable end?  Or is this a mac bug?

Or, barring that, does anyone know what approach will let me give the desired finish detail (attached a pic of a freehand elevation)?

• By KirkHodgson
      I'm looking to make my retaing wall larger than the terrain heights.
      In the instructions in this page, https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00652/changing-the-height-of-a-retaining-wall.html
      I did all the steps, but the last point. In section/elevation, when I try to click the retaining walls, nothing happens. I don't get boxes or any selection at all.
      What is happening that I can't make this selection?
      I want to make my wall 6" above the grade/terrain elevation, and I want to drop the foundation of the wall by 24". How do I do this?

Please assist.
      Thank you.

• By MRMChief
      Happy Holidays everyone.

I have a plan where I have a few places I need an exterior wall above a roof section, but a railing, or in one case, no wall below.  Is there a way to do this in Chief Architect X11?  The one opening in my screen shot shows some exterior molding, but no wall.  On the one that has the railing below it, I tried the lower wall type if split by roof, but I couldn't get it to show as a wall above and a railing below.  It was either only a railing or all wall.

I am on a macbook pro..

Thanks,

Michael

• By blueriver
      I'm using Chief Architect Premier X11

I have all these little 'X's can someone please tell me how to get rid of them?  I've been really playing around with the roof and i THINK they are from that but at the same time i have a couple random ones outside where the roof is -- i cannot get them to go away. Help!

thanks in advance
      Lauren