Central Vacuum Wall Inlet ?

ACADuser

Good we can help each other :) , how did you alter the 2D Block and Text ?  I wasn't sure how to get rid of the B in the Blank symbol , and the Manual wasnt too helpful ( or I searched the wrong term?) so I just chose that other one that was available.

If the 3d is important you would need to open the symbol in a empty (blank) plan , in a 3D view and then alter it with Primitives or polyline solids I believe but I am not really up on making Symbols myself , only messed with it a few times makinf Cedar boards etc nothing to complex.

M.

In you blank plan insert a GFI outlet
Then pull down menu CAD/CAD Block management
Select GFI block & click INSERT
Select it & explode
This gave me the text object, delete the geometry
Edit the GFI to say CV
Add the new geometry as desired assuming the wall attachment will be above this new block
So text and geometry should be aligned as desired.
Group Select & make Block.
Name Block "Central Vac Inlet 2D" or what ever

Select the New Symbol you created & click the Chair w/ pencil icon
select tab '2D Block'
from list select "Central Vac Inlet 2D" or what ever for your new 2D block
Note that the Rotation at the bottom of this tab man need to change to zero or 180
for proper display

Also you may need to go back to the original created 2D block & explode & move the text for proper placement
If you adjust this you will need to re-block it & rename it to "Central Vac Inlet 2D" or what ever & it will change the symbol

Once done save to Catalog, delete the previous one if it was saved earlier.

I think I got the sequence correct. I have done it so few times I have to relearn it each time. :) old age I guess.

Thanks Allan great lesson , if you happen to know the Manual Page you gleaned that from I should probably do a little more reading , it was what I was supposed to do with/after pushing the "insert " button that had me stumped.  Too make symbols you need to be in a total empty plan though as everything gets added to a symbol when you convert the 3D items.   

We might need a third hand in this as I haven't figured out how to make curved edges in OUR CV symbol but here is what we have so far after a bit of "play" this afternoon.

M.

The Real Deal

post-315-0-73040000-1430628055_thumb.jpg    

and what I came up with ( on the right for you smartass's :) )

post-315-0-40216900-1430628073_thumb.jpg

and if you'd like it

Central Vacuum Inlet_Square.calibz

Looks great! I'll give it a try.

manual page :rolleyes:   well most came from a few video's I watched.

I find I get far more info from the video's than the manual.

The manual sorely lacks illustrations as I am a visual learner & dyslexic to boot.

PS tried it out & looks great, Thanks Mick.

your welcome ..it was fun actually and another good lesson , if you remember which videos numbers please let me know or if you could post a link that would be great.

Thanks.   

Edit: Couldn't find a video on CAD Blocks but did find an article in the KB on it if anyone is interested, but Allan's tips above pretty much cover it.

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00805/68/Chief-Architect/Symbols/Editing-2D-CAD-Blocks-Assigned-to-3D-Symbols.html

This came up for me last week and I could have sworn there were vac symbols in Chief.  It turns out I was kind of right.  They had vac symbols on older versions, but must have removed them for some reason.  I found them on X1.

I know you found what you were looking for, but here are the X1 outlets.  There are 4.  Two wall and two floor outlets shown both open and closed.

Vac Outlets.calibz

Hi Alan I had forgotten about these Videos on symbols done in a Workshop by Joe Carrick back in January , not sure if you saw them but the link to the videos is still working, check out post #87 too for JC's Workshop Synopsis.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/3409-the-joe-carrick-symbol-workskhop-sat-jan-31st-at-600-am-pst/page-5#entry32191