My Chief Architect Design Inside Of Unreal Engine 4

JeffEstrada

Looks great!   I played with exporting from chief to the unreal engine, and did not have much luck.   My model export came in all wacky.

Looks like you really have some good techniques down.  Care to share any tips?

The animations are great btw.   Really nice work.

Looks great!   I played with exporting from chief to the unreal engine, and did not have much luck.   My model export came in all wacky.

Looks like you really have some good techniques down.  Care to share any tips?

The animations are great btw.   Really nice work.

Thank you! The process is actually pretty simple. 

Basically I went through every way of exporting the file from chief architect to get the best result. I found that .3ds was the best!

-I exported my design in Chief Architect as a .3ds file.

-Imported that .3ds file into "Blender" to smooth out the surfaces on any of the props (stoves, chairs, cabinet handles, etc.)

-From "Blender" I exported it as a .fbx file. 

So Basically this: 

MODELING                          SMOOTHING                   FINAL       

Chief architect (export as .3ds) > Blender (export as .fbx) > import into UE4.

Dude!  Stupend-e-mo!  Very HGTV!

Were you able to get a direct 3ds export/import or did you need to reprocess each model in a third-party and import as *.obj?  Really nice work Jeff!

jon

Thank you very much jon. I was actually going for the HGTV look haha :)

Nice work!

Very well done!

DJP

I appreciate the kind words!   :)

I had a nagging suspicion Blender was involved. Blender in my workflow = hair loss of frustration.

jon

I can agree with you on that one, blender isnt my favorite but I am slowly getting accustomed to it. I really didnt do anything fancy in blender, the only thing I did was select a mesh > smooth it out> select another mesh smooth it out etc.

If you prefer not to use blender, substitute it for sketchup. You can do the exact same thing with sketchup and export it as a .fbx file for unreal engine. :)

The reason why I chose to use blender instead of sketchup is because I found that with larger files, sketchup sometimes tends to crash while exporting to .fbx when you do a ton of smoothing on meshes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Awesome Job! I'm attempting to do the same, but when I try to export to 3ds the geometry is weird and it makes the uv mapping screwed up which prevents me from making nice textures for the models in unreal. How did you get around this issue?