Suppress Dimension Value?

Atari2600

In other cad apps, I will typically suppress a dimension value to type in custom text. While I know I can type in the text under the "additional Text" settings, I can't seem to figure out how to turn off the dimension value. I'd hate to manually "fake" a dimension line as a workaround.

Can I suppress dimension values in Chief? 

thanks.

Matt

Matt, I read your post a couple of times yesterday and decided not to respond because I do not know what you are talking about, I mean why would one need or want to "suppress a dimension value"? Is that something you did  often in your drawings?

I see no one else has responded, so that encouraged me to stick my foot in it and ask. 

DJP

Matt, simple answer, Chief cannot do this.

In my other program I use a suppressed value for items such as framing for fireplace units. You put in "to suit unit" instead of the dimension because many of my clients have not selected units or even styles at the CD stage. I do locate the overall width and centreline for the exterior wall framing but not interior. If, at a later date, they have a unit, I will put the proper dimension back in so they have a correct, as built plan.

I do use it for other situations but this is one in most plan. (I am working on a job now that will have to adjust window well heights depending on final site grades). I know I could put in a line, select arrows and add text but I would prefer the dimension option that Matt asks for.

You can't suppress a dimension height in chief; but you can select it, and make it's size 0.01" so it will never be seen.  The other option is to use a cad patch if it's part of a string.  The advantage of the cad patch is that allows you to use the additional text feature to remain visible, so you can insert "verify in field" or whatever you need.

The cad patch is simply a white filled cad box, with a white outline, that many of us keep in our library to cover a multitude of sins.

Suppress the dimension and add the text is just that much simpler and faster than adding a text box and positioning it properly. Every little thing adds up and one of the reasons I am using Chief is to gain speed.

Suppress the dimension and add the text is just that much simpler and faster than adding a text box and positioning it properly. Every little thing adds up and one of the reasons I am using Chief is to gain speed.

I agree, but if Chief does not allow this then what are the other choice do you have.

Graham

One advantage of the text method is that you can still select the dimension and then use it to reposition objects.  Not ideal by any means, but it does work with the exception of having to reposition the text if the dimension text is moved.

I agree that the text overlay is the best option at this time. The OP was asking about suppressing dims. and I was saying it would be my preferred method too. Nothing more than a thought, of which, I seem to have many

Thanks for the suggestions on a workaround. I am currently putting together some simple door elevations, where the door heights vary. I only want to show one "style" of door, so having a dimension which says "Varies, see schedule" would be most appropriate. 

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Sherry.   There are some instances where suppressing the dimemsion value and replacing it with your own is nessassary.  The attached image shows a simple generic detail where there is a break in the stemwall.  The stemwall height will vary depending grade, so I only show a minimum.  I have set the text height for the dimension to 1/256" and covered it over with a text box with a white background.

Bill

post-1670-0-26683700-1430189143_thumb.jpg