Stair Turn Difficulty

Mackenzie

Good afternoon, I'm struggling getting these stairs to match the home and feel like it might be a simple solution I'm overlooking. In the existing build the top landing has two steps on the landing at an angle instead of having another set of stringers that would jut into the adjacent room like in my render. I could delete the intruding treads and get away with faking the rest of the model but when I do that it collapses all of the stairs which is a bigger issue so I need help putting the last two steps on the landing itself at an angle, is there a way to do this?

I may not have described it well but did my best at drawing a photo of how it should look from what I remember. 

Thank you in advance, any help is appreciated!

Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 4.26.24 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 4.26.38 PM.png

IMG_E80E474BBE3E-1.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Mackenzie said:

I may not have described it well but did my best at drawing a photo of how it should look from what I remember. 

see if clicking this tool:
image.png.a911398e86ef89027d29e1c54d9c46af.png
which is located at:
image.thumb.png.5ec3e90a7511653b1798c2e3fbcdd4ec.png
and in the dialog choose:
image.thumb.png.5e2fbcddbe01da83719125e974e7b235.png
to get:
image.thumb.png.a7ea1d830f69c59fcf279d85baa1f76e.png

15 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Then delete one of the kites, the one I marked, and reshape the one to its R to a rectangle.

1682773240_Screenshot2024-07-08155622.thumb.png.0d388155a538bce859e1cf509708b4e9.png

This is certainly getting me a lot closer but my problem now is that after making that piece into a rectangle the stairs start falling apart when I move one piece, I ended up deleting my old staircase and fully replacing with the new U shape but I saved before trying to learn this if it's better to work off the old one.  I think I've nearly got it but need a bit more help.

Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 5.14.01 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 5.14.14 PM.png

29 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

see if clicking this tool:
image.png.a911398e86ef89027d29e1c54d9c46af.png
which is located at:
image.thumb.png.5ec3e90a7511653b1798c2e3fbcdd4ec.png
and in the dialog choose:
image.thumb.png.5e2fbcddbe01da83719125e974e7b235.png
to get:
image.thumb.png.a7ea1d830f69c59fcf279d85baa1f76e.png

I didn't realize the post after yours was from a different person, I've nearly got it but have a problem where the stairs start falling apart after resizing the angled portions

Looks to me as if you need, at the stair top, a "two kite" turn from which you step to the second floor hallway.

Get a pencil and paper, and the calculator on your phone or whatever.    Somewhere in main floor plan where there is room, draw a straight stairs that has the riser count to floor 2 that you want.  Write down that riser height from the stairs dialog.

Or just take a section view of the stairs, and measure up from floor 1 to the top and second-from-top tread.  Those are the elevations of the two landings you will now draw with CAD, each of the two kites.  Make each a landing, set heights, do the magic you need to do railings or not as you want, and place them where they go in plan view.  In the direction of the straight run of stairs, from the lower landing edge, draw a CAD line X tread lengths long, X being the run length of your asbuilt stairs.  At the end of that CAD line, which was drawn from the lower kite edge, that is where you now use the stair tool to draw your straight run.

22 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Looks to me as if you need, at the stair top, a "two kite" turn from which you step to the second floor hallway.

Get a pencil and paper, and the calculator on your phone or whatever.    Somewhere in main floor plan where there is room, draw a straight stairs that has the riser count to floor 2 that you want.  Write down that riser height from the stairs dialog.

Or just take a section view of the stairs, and measure up from floor 1 to the top and second-from-top tread.  Those are the elevations of the two landings you will now draw with CAD, each of the two kites.  Make each a landing, set heights, do the magic you need to do railings or not as you want, and place them where they go in plan view.  In the direction of the straight run of stairs, from the lower landing edge, draw a CAD line X tread lengths long, X being the run length of your asbuilt stairs.  At the end of that CAD line, which was drawn from the lower kite edge, that is where you now use the stair tool to draw your straight run.

After a fair amount of Trial and error I was able to accomplish it by holding the top position and doing best fit in the object menu, after that I could lock the number of treads, readjust the size of the stairway and lock the kite heights before repositioning them. I ran into many other issues but wouldn't have known to star without your help so thank you very much. 

This may not be quite the right way but it worked for this purpose and I'd like to try your CAD method another time.

My only problem now is that I don't know how to remove the base moulding because the open stairwell dialog wasn't working from the stairway so I had to manually put the hole in, would you mind telling me how thats done?

Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 6.51.46 PM.png

Nice.  That's a three kite turn.  To make code and have the comfy walkline and inside tread min width, I like to go more.  But you are doing asbuilt, right?  It is what it is.

27 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

Nice.  That's a three kite turn.  To make code and have the comfy walkline and inside tread min width, I like to go more.  But you are doing asbuilt, right?  It is what it is.

That is correct and thank you, some of the historic homes in our area give chief or rather me an exceptionally difficult time but I learned a lot from those that are helping here. 

I think you can do that stair with the landings, as many and whatever shape you like as long as they are connected properly, and still use automatic heights.  A lot less work and no math required.

What you can't do (for some reason) is make an auto stairwell when your stair has a landing on top.  In cases like this, I just manually draw my railings on the floor above, with the reference display turned on, and then make the room an open below room.  That should solve your room molding problem. 

On a side note, anytime you have room molding issues, another solution is to just convert the room molding into a molding polyline using the "make room molding polyline" tool and then edit as needed.  You can add breaks where needed and turn the molding on/off for any edge.

winders at top of stair.jpg

• Like 1