Dims On Elevations Are A Pain In The...

4hotshoez

I know what I want my vertical heights to be and I set objects (lights, p-line solids, others) and when I place a dim for placement they are off by the thickness of the floor finish thickness as far as I can tell, but I have no way to override this and not all objects such as cabinets are not affected. Chief may be fast in placing objects and build a basic house, but I loose tons of time on tweaking stuff like this that should not be a problem. Then, for some reason unknown to me Chief chooses to reference some invisible object out in space. It is big fight that is wasting my time and I am about to abandon my investment in this quirky but mostly good program.

The way to place some objects seems to be randomly inconsistent enough to frustrate.

I may be incorrect here but I believe the way things are set-up is that anything related to primary construction work is, from a height perspective, relative to the subfloor. For finishing elements such as cabinetry you have a choice between the subfloor or the finished floor by setting the "Auto Adjust Height" option.

Use the "Wall Elevation" view and the vertical dimensions will work between the finished floor and finished ceiling. Using the "Cross Section/Elevation" view the dimensions work between everything.

Just ran a comparison using "NKBA Auto Elevation Dimensions". In the "Cross Section/Elevation" view it dimensioned everything. In the "Wall Elevation" view it dimensioned between the finished floor and finished ceiling. I believe the NKBA standards are mostly format & style related. What is dimensioned is controlled by the elevation view type and what layers are turned on.

Graham

...And Chief adds these annoying blue plus sign markers because it cannot "see" the proper point of reference for the dimension, which means that the dims will not update dynamically. So I continue to fight against the automation that thinks it is smarter than I. This should not be so hard to do basic CAD.

I only encounter this issue when several narrow width items are beside each other or there are items behind. Guess there is a limit to the auto dimension tolerance and it cannot discern the individual items and therefore places point marks. Just click on the dimension (not the point marker) and drag on of the handles over the area, sometimes zooming in will help or turn off some layers to isolate the item.

All software written to-date has some anomaly, there is no such thing as perfect. If there was nothing would ever evolved and we would all be unemployed.

Graham