Is there a way to have chief provide longitude and latitude of a point by entering a known point?

cbucks

I recall ReneRabbit created a tool to do just this. Maybe check his website or search in the forums.

UPDATE: Found the video

• Like 1

On 5/13/2024 at 3:15 PM, BalutFX said:

I recall ReneRabbit created a tool to do just this. Maybe check his website or search in the forums.

UPDATE: Found the video

This Is exactly what I am looking for, thanks! I input a known dimension with a precision of 4 decimal places for seconds but something is rounding because when I overlay a marker over that same point it is rounding to a whole number of seconds. Is there a setting somewhere I need to change to keep the precision to 4 decimal places? For example when I put in 58.10218 as the seconds in the known point, and place a calculated value over it shows 58 for the seconds with no decimal places. Something is causing the decimal precision in seconds to be lost. 

Hi Keith, I tried changing the number style and unfortunately it didn't do the trick. It seems like something is rounding the initial point. I think it may be the part of the script that splits with a period it seems like it is ignoring the digits after the decimal in the seconds part. I think this is the line that may be causing the issue or a setting I need to change in my program

# SPLITTING GLOBAL INPUTS INTO DEGREES, MINUTES, AND SECONDS

latitude_degree, latitude_minutes, latitude_seconds = $latitude_degree.split('.').map(&:to_f)

@Renerabbitt might know

@Renerabbittso what I did was adjust the script so instead of splitting using a . it splits on a dash and then changed the known input and seperated the degrees minutes and seconds with a hypen rather than a period and that fixed.

so the line in the script post adjustment is

$latitude_degree.split('-').map(&:to_f)

Not sure if this is an x15 x16 issue but the additional digits after the period were throwing it off. Now when I place a marker over the own it gives the same 3 decimal precision as the known.

On 5/18/2024 at 6:52 AM, cbucks said:

@Renerabbittso what I did was adjust the script so instead of splitting using a . it splits on a dash and then changed the known input and seperated the degrees minutes and seconds with a hypen rather than a period and that fixed.

so the line in the script post adjustment is

$latitude_degree.split('-').map(&:to_f)

Not sure if this is an x15 x16 issue but the additional digits after the period were throwing it off. Now when I place a marker over the own it gives the same 3 decimal precision as the known.

Good Job..I just changed my own version to use spaces instead of hyphens since space are recognized by the program for minutes seconds etc in case you ever want to expand the function

On 5/20/2024 at 10:39 AM, Renerabbitt said:

Good Job..I just changed my own version to use spaces instead of hyphens since space are recognized by the program for minutes seconds etc in case you ever want to expand the function

Not sure if I have to adjust something or what I am doing wrong but I set the known point and it put that in, when I go about 18' to the side it is going from 41 degrees 43 minutes to 41 degrees 44 minutes but I double checked with GNSS and it should be even 18 feet should be 41 degrees 43 minutes. Do I need to set North properly or is there a setting  should change?

It for some reason is not matching my check point which I know is accurate to .36 of a in. The seconds are off pretty. I tried changing the plan rotation to 0 and also to be North. Not sure if this is an X16 problem but I can't get the points to match they are off by several feet. Anything I should check?

4 hours ago, cbucks said:

It for some reason is not matching my check point which I know is accurate to .36 of a in. The seconds are off pretty. I tried changing the plan rotation to 0 and also to be North. Not sure if this is an X16 problem but I can't get the points to match they are off by several feet. Anything I should check?

I built this tool for someone specific lived in the contiguous US closer to the equator who when asked did not need curvature of the earth factored in and was only picking up points from a smaller lot, under an acre. this might be the issue that you are running into. It would need to be rewritten to take account for curvature as well as polar factors and gets a heck of a lot more complex

4 hours ago, cbucks said:

see if this works:

GPS Polar Toolkit.calibz

Looks interesting this one outputs a very low longitude and latitude at the same point as the known. I looked at code and looks like longitude and latitude may be switched?

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 7.09.41 PM.png

Quick update I am able to get the known marker match the calculated had to add a space where split was between the two " " 

longitude_degree, longitude_minutes, longitude_seconds = $longitude_degree.split(" ").map(&:to_f)

latitude_degree, latitude_minutes, latitude_seconds = $latitude_degree.split(" ").map(&:to_f)

I noticed one thing strange with Chief, the bigger the radius the marker size the bigger the difference between the known and same marker placed at the known. So I set the radius of the marker to 1" which is tiny but appears to give better precision.

Quick update I tried new 

On 5/24/2024 at 6:12 PM, cbucks said:

Looks interesting this one outputs a very low longitude and latitude at the same point as the known. I looked at code and looks like longitude and latitude may be switched?

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 7.09.41 PM.png

On 5/24/2024 at 11:28 AM, Renerabbitt said:

I tried GPS Polar the known point matches, when I go to the second known point it is off by about 4'. I am pretty sure my plan is rotated so 0 degrees is due North. The North pointers line up. I did notice within Chief the larger the marker the less precise it is. I tried making the marker radius super small .0000001" and that did make a bit more precise. I also tried changing earth radius to earth_radius = 20902230.971129

I went back to the original Rabs Long and Lat tool.calibz I am able to get it to be as close as 9" which isn't bad but not precise enough if for me to stake out points on site to visualize and maximize window views. For comparison sake my GNSS receiver with an NTRIP RTK Corrections shows an accuracy of .33 in for horizontal accuracy. A couple things I adjusted in the Long and Lat Tool calibz. One is the marker radius I set super small. I noticed a 4" marker radius was creating a slight xy offset when I placed the point over the known point. Albeit not visible to the naked eye was enough to throw off calculations. I also rotated my plan to due North which I rotated 31.017°. I believe it is due North at least the plan arrow is completely in line with the North arrow of the plan.  This could be part of my problem though as visually it looks correct but may be rotated off a bit. I can't recall where I calculated 31.017 degrees but it was a while ago. I also tried making the chief input to be decimals but went back to degrees minutes and seconds. I changed the split to " " so that it can use spaces. It seems like degrees minutes and seconds with 3 digit decimal input is a more finite input in chief than decimal degrees.  The precision is decimals for seconds so  I changed the rounding on seconds to 3 digits to match the GNSS receiver. I used this calculator and changed the feet per degree longitude and latitude to match the latitude of 41. http://www.csgnetwork.com/degreelenllavcalc.html     Is there a way in chief to force it to calc using the most decimal places possible?

1976363079_Screenshot2024-05-26at1_38_00AM.thumb.jpg.72d209c69f83c4d3288ea30d33a7a5ea.jpg

Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 1.36.55 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 1.37.19 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 1.37.43 AM.jpg

14 hours ago, cbucks said:

I went back to the original Rabs Long and Lat tool.calibz I am able to get it to be as close as 9" which isn't bad but not precise enough if for me to stake out points on site to visualize and maximize window views. For comparison sake my GNSS receiver with an NTRIP RTK Corrections shows an accuracy of .33 in for horizontal accuracy. A couple things I adjusted in the Long and Lat Tool calibz. One is the marker radius I set super small. I noticed a 4" marker radius was creating a slight xy offset when I placed the point over the known point. Albeit not visible to the naked eye was enough to throw off calculations. I also rotated my plan to due North which I rotated 31.017°. I believe it is due North at least the plan arrow is completely in line with the North arrow of the plan.  This could be part of my problem though as visually it looks correct but may be rotated off a bit. I can't recall where I calculated 31.017 degrees but it was a while ago. I also tried making the chief input to be decimals but went back to degrees minutes and seconds. I changed the split to " " so that it can use spaces. It seems like degrees minutes and seconds with 3 digit decimal input is a more finite input in chief than decimal degrees.  The precision is decimals for seconds so  I changed the rounding on seconds to 3 digits to match the GNSS receiver. I used this calculator and changed the feet per degree longitude and latitude to match the latitude of 41. http://www.csgnetwork.com/degreelenllavcalc.html     Is there a way in chief to force it to calc using the most decimal places possible?

1976363079_Screenshot2024-05-26at1_38_00AM.thumb.jpg.72d209c69f83c4d3288ea30d33a7a5ea.jpg

Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 1.36.55 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 1.37.19 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 1.37.43 AM.jpg

the original intent of this tool was to give basic elevation data to create a terrain top. It seems you are trying to plot an addition out?
Without having the equipment or fully understanding the use case and problems that are occuring I can't really troubleshoot what is happening. This is a very rudimentary script and isnt taking into account a ton of things that a calculator build for gps based coordintate might figure out. It would likely be simple just to use an online calculator.
JUST TO MENTION, this in no way can account for direction based distance that is linear and applied to a slope. Max precision that I know of is 1/256"

Trying to stake out some gps coordinates to see what the potential window view angles of are at those spots. Alternatively if someone knows of a good calculator or IOS app I basically need to be able to take a known GPS coordinate enter in a heading and distance in ideally quadrant bearing and decimal feet and have it calculate the gps coordinate I can use my GNSS RTK rover to navigate to.

On 5/26/2024 at 4:18 PM, Renerabbitt said:

the original intent of this tool was to give basic elevation data to create a terrain top. It seems you are trying to plot an addition out?
Without having the equipment or fully understanding the use case and problems that are occuring I can't really troubleshoot what is happening. This is a very rudimentary script and isnt taking into account a ton of things that a calculator build for gps based coordintate might figure out. It would likely be simple just to use an online calculator.
JUST TO MENTION, this in no way can account for direction based distance that is linear and applied to a slope. Max precision that I know of is 1/256"

On 6/1/2024 at 11:53 AM, cbucks said:

Trying to stake out some gps coordinates to see what the potential window view angles of are at those spots. Alternatively if someone knows of a good calculator or IOS app I basically need to be able to take a known GPS coordinate enter in a heading and distance in ideally quadrant bearing and decimal feet and have it calculate the gps coordinate I can use my GNSS RTK rover to navigate to.

Is this kind of the script you followed https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7222382/get-lat-long-given-current-point-distance-and-bearing or this http://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong.html

I checked the x and y position and they are accurate in terms of feet so inseams to be something with the feet per latitude or longitude degree?