Roof Plane Lines - Hidden Past Exterior Walls

EmmaCox

Go to solution Solved by EmmaCox,

Is there a way to show the roof plane lines on plan view just outside the exterior walls and not inside the home? Attached example. 

I could convert the file to CAD lines and trim them, or maybe make a white rectangle around the house perimeter and hide the roof planes behind it? Wasn't sure if there was something in the settings to make it easier, or anyone had suggestions.

I know this is an odd request, but this is how we show the drawings on our website as presentation drawings. They usually do them in CAD but want me to try and replicate it in chief so we can do it this way moving forward. 

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot 2024-04-05 140955.png

15 minutes ago, BenPalmer said:

Look at the "Roof, Overhang Area" layer and see if that gets you what you want.

Yes that is exactly what I am after, thank you! Only issue, it's showing the eaves as a double line. Any idea how to turn that off? Attached:

Screenshot 2024-04-05 145127.png

I think it has something to do with Soffits...if you turn those off I think it gets rid of it, but depending on other settings such as Boxed Eaves, turning soffits off will change the look of your Eaves in Camera, so be aware of what is happening there before you fully commit to it.  Might need to do some experimenting with it.  I'm going off memory, haven't looked it up...so hopefully I'm steering you in the right direction. ;)

• Upvote 1

You have a couple of reasonable options in my opinion, one of which you already alluded to.

1. Create a room polyline around the exterior and use it as a CAD mask. I would place this cad mask in drawing order 37 in plan view so that it is behind Room Fill, in case I'm using that. To show the roof planes, I would use a reference layer so that the roof planes are under my floor plan. This may require an SVP and layer set for Roof Planes only.
  2. The other option is to fill all the rooms with a solid fill and move the roof planes to drawing order 37. This can have a ripple effect of screwing up other drwaing orders in your roof plan and section / elevation views.

I use the first method. It's faster than typing this was!

• Upvote 1

• Solution

Thank you @BenPalmer and @robdyck, both of those options worked so I have a few options to choose! :)

1) Turn off roof plane layer, turn on roof overhang layer, uncheck "soffits" to remove double line on floor plan view. Only issues with this one is it will remove soffits on 3D views, which may not matter if this file is solely for the presentaiton floor plans and not renders, but it also still shows the roof planes on the dormers for some reason.

2) Create polyline around exterior, white fill, move to order 27 (behind room fill), move all roof planes to order 39 back (behind room polyline).

option 1.png

option 2.png

uncheck soffits.png