Dutch Hip Roof

StephenM

I'm trying to get the dutch gable roof over the front porch, similar to the front of the garage but can't figure out why it won't work.

I've attached pictures of what I'm trying to replicate as well as the file.

T.I.A. for the help.

Roof 1.jpeg

Roof 3.jpeg

Existing House.plan

I couldn't get it to auto build without throwing things out of whack but just simply drew a roof plan over the front railing, made the eave heights the same and it came out great. I had to manipulate the roof connections and slide that gable wall back a tad to get it to look right.

image.thumb.png.e62d3214275c247dc3f4b07dc0389dda.png

1 hour ago, StephenM said:

Thanks for the help everyone! Good to know for future, that it is something you have to manually do.

I am not sure how you set up the roof but when I do dutch gables they always auto build real nice for me. 

10 hours ago, winterdd said:

I am not sure how you set up the roof but when I do dutch gables they always auto build real nice for me. 

I'm guessing...but, I think the issue with the "roof return" at the porch is that the return has to extend over the top of another roof. This might be what is causing this auto tool not to work properly. The auto roof needs a wall to attach to...and the railing wall which the roof return is assigned to stops at the garage...but the roof needs to continue past the garage wall. 

16 hours ago, StephenM said:

I'm trying to get the dutch gable roof over the front porch, similar to the front of the garage but can't figure out why it won't work.

I've attached pictures of what I'm trying to replicate as well as the file.

T.I.A. for the help.

Roof 1.jpeg

Roof 3.jpeg

Existing House.plan 9.88 MB · 9 downloads

Check out this article from the Knowledge Base https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00749/creating-a-dutch-hip-roof.html

On 3/20/2024 at 6:30 PM, SNestor said:

I gave it a shot...I did have to manually draw in the roof return. I placed notes on the roof plan view of this drawing;

Here is the file; _ExistingHouse - fix plan.plan.zip

2024-03-20_20-27-45.thumb.png.3bcc9009fac6a220f70845f2cecb138e.png

I just noticed you used rafter when you did this. Can I continue with using rafters even though the renovation will be with trusses? Or what is the best way to transfer back to the use of trusses?